• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: AVG Better?

AVG Better? 14 years 8 months ago #19595

Dom, I have seen that you have recommended AVG instead of purchasing an AV program. Is AVG just as good? I just have this idea that it can't be that good if it is free. Does it detect adware and spyware? I have Lavasoft and Spybot that I run manually. My Kaspersky AV is set to expire in about a month, so I am trying to decide. It seems from what I read that AVG will detect spyware, adware, malware, and viruses; is that correct?

What about the rootkit threats and hackers and firewall? I have the windows firewall now. Is the paid version better? Is it needed?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

<b>Title:</b> Orland Park Home Inspector
www.OrlandParkHomeInspections.com
<b>Des:</b> Orland Park Home inspector performs home inspections in Orland Park, Tinley Park, New Lenox, Frankfort, & Palos Heights. 708-535-6057, 708-612-6679
<b>UPath:</b>...
Last Edit: by Michael Merino.

Re: AVG Better? 14 years 8 months ago #19596

AVG is running on my Netbook for the last 6 0r 7 months and it is so in the background that I forget it is there.
My.older laptop has had McCaffee for the last 3 years and is such a big pain that it drives me crazy with all the constant updates which freeze my computer to the point where I think McCaffe is the virus.

Just bought a new Desktop and made sure to install AVG right off the bat.

Re: AVG Better? 14 years 8 months ago #19600

The free version of AVG won't find root kits. I only run AVG now, it's much less resource intensive than the other AV programs. I also have spybot (which is also free) and run it manually every few weeks.

Dominic Maricic
Home Inspector Pro Home Inspection Software - CEO

Re: AVG Better? 14 years 8 months ago #19603

So, you think only the free version is all one needs? Or should I keep my Kaspersky? Are rootkits really a problem?

<b>Title:</b> Orland Park Home Inspector
www.OrlandParkHomeInspections.com
<b>Des:</b> Orland Park Home inspector performs home inspections in Orland Park, Tinley Park, New Lenox, Frankfort, & Palos Heights. 708-535-6057, 708-612-6679
<b>UPath:</b>...

Re: AVG Better? 14 years 8 months ago #19613

They rarely are. More an issue on linux machines actaully. Kaspersky is good too, I would just take the free AVG over it. If you have a paid version of Kaspersky, use it.

Dominic Maricic
Home Inspector Pro Home Inspection Software - CEO

Re: AVG Better? 14 years 8 months ago #19766

"I think McCaffe is the virus.

It is!

I've used AVG for years (and spybot) and have never had any issues.

Home Inspector
HVAC Systems Design
ITC Level III Thermography - Building Science Thermographer
Thermal Imaging
Serving Clarksville - Nashville TN and the Mid TN area
www.MidTnInspections.com
www.ThermalImagingScan.com
To link to my pages:
www.midtninspections.com/link-submission
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.