• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: No sub floor

No sub floor 8 years 1 month ago #62755

Anyone come across a house with no sub floor. This house just had hardwood flooring placed directly on the joists.  The house was built in the mid 1940's. Seemed solid enough. Any thoughts/ recommendations to tell my client?
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Goal Line Inspections
fielding your inspection needs
www.goallineinspections.com
Serving: Portland, Gresham, Beaverton and the greater Portland metro area

Re: No sub floor 8 years 1 month ago #62757

I normally see T&G planks laid on a diagonal as the subfloor in homes of that age, plywood in newer or renovated homes. I have infrequently seen much older homes (1880s-1920s) where the wood flooring was laid directly over joists without a subfloor. I have seen a number of cabins and converted buildings with wood flooring laid directly over joists, usually pre 1920s or 1930s.
Was the entire home done in this manner or just a room or two?
Drafty home, floors that squeak and pop, dips or slopes in the floor, may need to add support under china cabinets, pianos and the like. Very important to have vapor barrier in crawlspace and to keep sump pumps in good order and to keep crawlspace dry.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Alton Darty    AR Lic. #HI-1496
ATN Inspection Services, LLC
Home & Commercial Inspections throughout the NE Arkansas and SE Missouri regions.
www.arinspections.com
Osceola, Arkansas 72370
Last Edit: by Alton Darty.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.160 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.