• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Beam is not setting on foundation

Beam is not setting on foundation 11 years 1 month ago #51849

Inspected a house today and 1 end of the center beam is not setting on the foundation. Instead it is against the foundation and supported by 4- 2x6 nailed together. My understanding is the beam should be on the foundation. I tried to look it up and haven't found it. Anyone have knowledge of this ???
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Jon Smith
Jon's Certified Home Inspections, LLC
www.JONSHOMEINSPECTION.COM
Serving Muncie, New Castle, Richmond, and Winchester Indiana

Re: Beam is not setting on foundation 11 years 1 month ago #51854

My thoughts are this.

The main girder is supported by the foundation wall and that post is not for the support of the beam (girder). The 2 X 4 post as you say may be from someone beginning to finish the basement.

I would not be concerned about the 2 X 4 construction.

It does look like the girder (beam) is supported by the foundation wall.

Home Safe Home Inspections
Link Url: Cleveland Home Inspector - www.hshinspections.net/
Body:Performing Home Inspections in Cleveland, Parma, Brecksville, Broadview Heights, North Royalton, Strongsville and surrounding areas.
Keywords:Parma,Broadview...

Re: Beam is not setting on foundation 11 years 3 weeks ago #52406

I don't believe a girder can be supported by a block wall. It looks to me like a builder unfamiliar with structural framing did just that and then subsequently it was 'repaired' with the king stud arrangement that is shown in the photo. These multiple 2x4's will support this beam but make sure at the concrete base that this douglas fir is not in contact with the concrete. It needs to be treated lumber to be in contact with concrete.

For structural framing questions like this I will ask a foundation contractor for the final word. I have one that I refer contacts to when I see that a house is in need of repair. He always gives me the last word.

Re: Beam is not setting on foundation 11 years 14 hours ago #53025

I would note it in the report but not make a big deal out of it.  Assuming the basement is dry the end grain of the wood should not deteriorate.  There is no footer under the stud location bit between the block wall and the 2x4 support any type of long term damage is highly unlikely unless there are severe problems with the foundation not pictured.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.214 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.