• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Does this look right?

Does this look right? 11 years 6 months ago #50213

I wasn't sure about calling this out since I'm no structural expert. It just didn't look right to me. I would think extra crib supports would be in order where the short 2x4's meet the rafter below the ridge? Any advice would be helpful. Very nice, well maintained 2003 home in nice subdivision.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Always tell the truth, do what you promise, and do it righter than right..always
Title: Inspection Connection
URL: www.charleston-home-inspector.com
Body: Performing Home Inspections in all of WV: Charleston, Huntington, Teays, Hurricane, and surrounding areas
Keywords: Charleston Home Inspector, St...

Re: Does this look right? 11 years 3 months ago #51268

No sir I do not like it at all. I enlarged the pic and you can see the nails pulling out. No joist hangers present. No cross bracing in the upper third. Looks like unprofessional work. I would call this out.

Tech 9 Home Inspections

Re: Does this look right? 11 years 3 months ago #51269

Here's a pic of how it could have been done.
Attachments:

Tech 9 Home Inspections

Re: Does this look right? 11 years 3 months ago #51270

Thanks, Jarrod. I stopped short of calling it unprofessional, but I did recommend a structural engineer be consulted. Not sure what happened, the inspection and the original post was a few months back. I gave the client a picture very similar to the one you posted. I took it out of a "Basic Carpentry" book I've had for years..Can't understand why, if it is in "basic carpentry", a "professional" house builder would utilize a method like this! Thanks again, and Have a Merry Christmas!

Always tell the truth, do what you promise, and do it righter than right..always
Title: Inspection Connection
URL: www.charleston-home-inspector.com
Body: Performing Home Inspections in all of WV: Charleston, Huntington, Teays, Hurricane, and surrounding areas
Keywords: Charleston Home Inspector, St...

Re: Does this look right? 11 years 3 months ago #51302

Looks like a modular home setup.  The center peak portion is installed onsite once the two pieces are joined together after transport.  Clues can be in the crawlspace where there is a center beam for joining purposes.  There can also be a center chord in the attic but those are usually buried with insulation.

There is nothing sweeter than the smell of fresh cut grass on a baseball infield, the click of a wooden bat and the taste of a hot dog at a warm sunny daytime double-header.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.229 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.