• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: How do you call out defects in your reports?

Re: How do you call out defects in your reports? 12 years 2 months ago #46947

I agree most are friendly here. 

I avoid asking questions on inspector news and the internachi forums because there are more people there (not all some I consider friends) that are interested in picking your question apart and belittling you rather than answer your question.  I try to google what I can. 

I do stand corrected.  I learned a few things asking this question.  This is what I was thinking when I said realtor's discretion.  Say after the buyer and their realtor receives the report it is up to their discretion to request repairs on the items I listed.  Say the buyer doesn't care about everything I listed in my major concerns section so the buyer's realtor draws up the counter offer.  If I listed things specifically as defects I was thinking the realtor would feel more obligated to say well these are all defects so you must request repairs.  This would be a disservice to your client as well.  Because the deal will likely fall apart and your client may be missing out on a great deal. 

I realize now from the above posts that these words are essentially the same as saying defect.  But I still question why most inspectors don't use that word???

I learn new things about this business all the time. 

I am an honest person and work very hard for my clients.  I don't purposely over look anything or sugar coat things.

Thank you for your time and patience.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Jesus is coming again!!

Re: How do you call out defects in your reports? 12 years 2 months ago #46949

I do not use a checklist.  Narrative form only.  But with HIP, either way is a checklist.  It is just that you are checking a box with a description.  Takes the same amount of time to generate a report but tells the client something without them having to scroll up or down to see what that particular box means.  Granted it takes time to put your library of narratives together but it is in wording that you use during your inspection, and in case of legal problems, is familiar to you without explanation.

So you can check a box under say, Windows, that says  Satisfactory.    OR

You can check a box that prints out in your report as:   The vinyl double pane windows were in satisfactory condition with no defects noted at time of inspection. 

When it comes to defects, you can just check a box marked   Defective / Major Concern / Safety Hazard....    OR

Check a box that prints out in your report as:  The fire door from the garage to the interior of the home is a hollow core door without weatherstripping, a threshold or self closing hinges.  Recommend replacement with a fire rated door that includes proper weatherstripping, a threshold and self closing hinges.

Tell me which gives your client the information needed to make a fully educated decision.  Report writing is unique to each individual.  Some take time to build and develop their libraries, some do not.  The choice is always yours to make.

There is nothing sweeter than the smell of fresh cut grass on a baseball infield, the click of a wooden bat and the taste of a hot dog at a warm sunny daytime double-header.

Re: How do you call out defects in your reports? 12 years 2 months ago #46953

That clears some things up for me. 

I do like the narratives a lot better and plan to switch over to that once I get all of the comments to cover all of the standards. 
When I get some time I plan to search for verbiage.  I will tweak it a bit to fit my style and then start using more of a narrative style report. 

Business is busy right now for Feb.!

Thank you

Jesus is coming again!!

Re: How do you call out defects in your reports? 12 years 2 months ago #46954

Don't wait.
Start using HIP now.

Set up like your check box report is not and add as you go.
I have (basically) check box type items required by my State that must be covered in every report (one way or another). This starts the reporting process.

Don't try to add all the discrepancy issues at once.
As you do inspections, write the narrative and stick it in HIP and it will be there for next time.

Don't try to do it all at once, because by the time you do, you'll change your mind and have to do it all over again and throw away which you've already done.

If you write something that applies to all houses, "add comments".

It takes longer to find the issues you want to check than it does to type it out in some cases. Some discrepancies can be covered in a picture caption. There are several places you can make your observations in the report. You must get this system down for your own preferences so it's better that you build it as you grow.

Home Inspector
HVAC Systems Design
ITC Level III Thermography - Building Science Thermographer
Thermal Imaging
Serving Clarksville - Nashville TN and the Mid TN area
www.MidTnInspections.com
www.ThermalImagingScan.com
To link to my pages:
www.midtninspections.com/link-submission
Last Edit: by David Andersen.

Re: How do you call out defects in your reports? 12 years 2 months ago #46955

Why would you leave it up to the realtor? They are not your client, and your client hired you to tell the your opinion of the condition of the house. I call them as I see them, if it is a safety issue, I state that it is. You are the home inspector, leave the realtor out of it.

<b>Title:</b> Orland Park Home Inspector
www.OrlandParkHomeInspections.com
<b>Des:</b> Orland Park Home inspector performs home inspections in Orland Park, Tinley Park, New Lenox, Frankfort, & Palos Heights. 708-535-6057, 708-612-6679
<b>UPath:</b>...

Re: How do you call out defects in your reports? 12 years 2 months ago #46958

Good idea David Thank you!

Jesus is coming again!!
Time to create page: 0.250 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.