• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Inspection checklist/software and insurance - getting started

Re: Inspection checklist/software and insurance - getting started 12 years 5 months ago #44522

You don't want to take anything on the roof but the camera to be safe. You can note your comments when you get down.

Start off inspecting your house and friends places to get comfortable.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Dominic Maricic
Home Inspector Pro Home Inspection Software - CEO

Re: Inspection checklist/software and insurance - getting started 12 years 5 months ago #44524

I also use a camera as my sole means of recording issues.  I build the report back at the office using the photos, and sometime videos. My camera is my Iphone which produces a 5 megapixel photo. Bob Elliot will say get the most megapixels you can, which is an argument with some merit as cropping a photo later is easier with a bigger photo to start with. I have found that the most important aspect of taking photos is framing, focus and lighting. Editing photos later is a lot simpler if you take the photos with your end result in mind.

I considered doing notes onsite, but juggling a tablet along with everything  else seemed too difficult. Many guys do just that and they do it very well, taking notes as they go through the home.  Bruce is dead on, having the checklist when you are first starting out is a good safety net.  Once your skills are honed it would make better sense to not do work twice(on paper and then on the computer).

I only differ from Bruce's description of his method in that I do bring the computer and I back up my photos before I leave the home. I do it three times during the inspection purposefully so that I can review the photos with my clients. It like that old saying, “Tell em what you're gonna tell em, Tell em, then tell em what you told em.”  Once my clients read the report they have seen the issues three times, once in person, once in my “photo review” and the in the report. I rarely get call backs.

You'll probably have to try a few things and find what's best for you. Dom is right, I would recommend HIP without hesitation. I reviewed every other program I could find and HIP is without a doubt the most flexible. Good Luck!

Title: Home Inspection Peoria, IL
URL:  www.aaintegrityhomeinspection.com

Re: Inspection checklist/software and insurance - getting started 12 years 5 months ago #44533

You have home inspector licensing in Oklahoma. ? If you follow the link below it will take you to the OK licensing page. ? CHapter 70 are the rules and laws governing home inspection. ? It specifically lists the items you must A)Inspect B)Describe C)Probe D)Operate E)Test. ? If you plan on operating in Oklahoma you better know that document backwards and forwards. Make sure you are Inspecting and Operating. ? Inspecting a dishwasher is different than Operating one. ? Your report should specifically describe that you Inspected and Operated when appropriate. ? 

www.ok.gov/cib/Rules_and_Regulations/index.html

Yes, it takes a few inspections to develop your own flow. ? Some inspectors use a top down, outside to inside method. ? Others follow an exterior, garage, mechanicals, interior, attic, crawl/basement. ? Some setup in the kitchen, head out for a room or 2 and then come back and enter into laptop on kitchen counter, head out again, inspect 2 rooms/areas return etc. ? It does not really matter as long as you develop a pattern and follow it to prevent overlooking some area.? 

The top down method allows you to run all the tubs, toilets, sinks, showers, tubs on the upper floors and then check for water staining as you move down. ? Some like to take a quick walk through the entire house just to get a mental picture of where things are before they actually "inspect". ? Some want to inspect the attic before walking the roof to find the soft spots and avoid falling thru. ? Some show up before the appt time to have some uninterrupted time to sizeup and get assembled.

Go on a few ridealongs with different inspectors before you every perform one for pay. ? Continue to go on ridealongs throughout your career. ? I mentored under a fella for 6 months. ? Great learning experience.? ? I have been on at least 5 ridealongs in 5 years with different inspectors. ? Everybody does it a little differently. ? Everytime I see something I want to incorporate or be sure never to do.

Bruce Ramsey, ACI
Last Edit: by Bruce Ramsey.

Re: Inspection checklist/software and insurance - getting started 12 years 5 months ago #44552

This is all great feedback everyone and I can't thank you enough.  When I read the HI book (Carson and Dunlop) and took the HI course on line, there is no mention of inspecting any appliances, however I keep seeing you guys refer to them.  I'm guessing if it's a built in appliance, i.e. dishwasher/cooktop stove it needs to be inspected.  Where can I get info on what to look for on those, or do you just inspect for obvious problems and ensure operation, when required?  Same goes for hottubs/spas/pools.  I'm sure the client will want those inspected, but I'm not certified yet.  Is there something specific to become certified to check those, or how do you go about handling that?

Re: Inspection checklist/software and insurance - getting started 12 years 5 months ago #44553

Ugh! (Warning: Rant starting) I would move out of Illinois if we had to inspect appliances. Why not make inspectors check the TV while we're at it? Or the phone lines? Or the whole-house vac?  Why on God's green earth should an inspector have to deal with a client who's microwave croaked and now they think you are responsible to the tune of $200.00?  How many inspectors would pay the money to just make those ridiculous claims go away?  What is most frustrating about appliance inspection requirements is the potential liability or false claims they could produce. I think it's absurd to make inspectors take on the liability of appliances and I would encourage the liberal use of disclaimers in your contract and report to remove as much liability for appliances as your state law would allow for. Let inspectors add appliances if they want, but don't saddle them with unreasonable liability by putting it in the state law. (End rant)

That being said, there are certainly classes out there which you could take for continuing ed, but I'm unfamiliar with it all so some other guys will have to direct you to them. I would encourage a ride along with a reputable appliance repairman. Obviously the plumbing, electrical and fuel connections will be part of the inspection, but they would be able to give you a short checklist of things to look for and then you should disclaim everything beyond those basic visual checks.

That's my 2 cents and since I don't inspect appliances, that's about all it's worth.  :)

Title: Home Inspection Peoria, IL
URL:  www.aaintegrityhomeinspection.com

Re: Inspection checklist/software and insurance - getting started 12 years 5 months ago #44555

Built in appliances are easy.  Majority of stoves have 4 burners. All switched on.  They either work or they don't.  Same for the oven portion.  Usually 2 burners.  They either light or get hot or they don't.  I don't measure exact temps, just whether they get hot or not.  Check for anti-tip and done. Microwave heats a test bag in 10 seconds or it doesn't.  Dishwasher gets started at the beginning of the kitchen inspection.  That's enough time for the first wash cycle to finish and see if the soap door opens.  It may or may not finish by the time I am done.  If not, I just cancel and let it drain.  Refrigerator / freezer is temp measured and door seals checked.  Done.  Shouldn't take more than 3 or 4 minutes except the dishwasher.  I think clients would like to know if they are going to have to purchase a $400 stove, microwave or much spendier fridge.  It either works or it doesn't.  It shouldn't matter how efficient it works.

There is nothing sweeter than the smell of fresh cut grass on a baseball infield, the click of a wooden bat and the taste of a hot dog at a warm sunny daytime double-header.
Time to create page: 0.342 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.