• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Early Rising - How Would You Like An Extra Month Every Year?

Early Rising - How Would You Like An Extra Month Every Year? 15 years 2 months ago #8941

I am an early riser.  And always have been!  Most people are shocked by how early - I am usually up by 3am, though I sometimes sleep in until 4 or so.  The morning is my favorite time of day.  It is my quiet time.  I can think.  I can plan.  And I can do so unfettered by phones and interruptions.  I can get a lot done.

One of my pastimes is collecting antique books.  I love reading them, learning how people used to think and write.  One thing I have discovered is that people 100 or 150 years ago were very similar in so many ways to how we are now.  There are huge differences, to be sure.  But many similarities!

One of my favorite people is Robert Baden-Powell.  You may recognize him as the founder of the Boy Scouts.  I have been affiliated with the Boy Scouts, in one way or another, for 47 years.  It is a terrific program for young men.  I have a book entitled Scouting for Boys.  It is the original 1908 edition.  This is the book that preceded the first Boy Scout Handbook in 1911 (I have one of those too...).  These books are full, full, full of information.  And information that you and I can use.  Scouting for Boys is terrific.

Here is an entry on page 226 I thought to share with you...

"Early Rising - The scout's time for being most active is in the early morning.  A scout needs to train himself to the habit of getting up very early; and when once he is in the habit it is no trouble at all to him, like it is to some fat fellows who lie asleep after the daylight has come.

The Emperor Charlemagne, who was a great scout in the old days, used always to get up in the middle of the night.  The Duke of Wellington, who, like Napoleon Bonaparte, preferred to sleep on a little camp bed, used to say, 'When it is time to turn over in bed, it is time to turn out.'

Many men who manage to get through more work than others in a day, do so by getting up an hour or two earlier.  By getting up early you also can get more time for play.

If you get up one hour earlier than other people you get thirty hours a month more of life than they do; while they have twelve months in the year, you get 365 extra hours, or thirty more days -- that is thirteen months to their twelve!"

Robert Baden-Powell wanted a Scout Motto that was short and to the point.  It is said he thought up one that shared his initials -- Be Prepared.

My recommendation:  Thomas Jefferson said that the sun never caught him still laying in bed.  So, don't be a "fat fellow" - before the sun turns up, turn out of bed!  There is much to be said for "early to bed, early to rise."  Little things can make big differences!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Jay Markanich Real Estate Inspections, LLC
Based in Bristow, serving all of Northern Virginia
www.jaymarinspect.com
Northern Virginia Home Inspector
Festina Lente - Make Haste Slowly

Re: Early Rising - How Would You Like An Extra Month Every Year? 15 years 2 months ago #8943

• Ian Niquette
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Just another goofy lookin guy with no hair!!
  • Thank you received: 0
Jay, as a former Scout myself, I find that I still use that motto almost daily. I really wish more young boys would follow the Scouts these days. My small town doesn't even have a program anymore, parents are too busy. Such a shame, think of all the stuff you learned by being a Scout.  :'(

Square One Home Inspection
Square One Home Inspection proudly serves Green Lake, Fond du Lac, Dodge, Marquette, Columbia, Winnebago, and Waushara Counties. Complete home inspections, thermal imaging and Radon testing available.
www.squareonehomeinspection.com
Keywords : Fond du Lac Home Inspection,...

Re: Early Rising - How Would You Like An Extra Month Every Year? 15 years 2 months ago #8944

I am a Scoutmaster now and still TEACH that stuff.  I also am the merit badge counselor for 15 badges...

www.jaymarinspect.com

Re: Early Rising - How Would You Like An Extra Month Every Year? 15 years 2 months ago #8980

I have the opposite philosophy. Stay up as late as you can and get my extra time that way :)

Dominic Maricic
Home Inspector Pro Home Inspection Software - CEO
Last Edit: by Dominic Maricic.

Re: Early Rising - How Would You Like An Extra Month Every Year? 15 years 2 months ago #8981

I get your extra time, but it is early in the morning.

Whatever do you mean?

www.jaymarinspect.com

Re: Early Rising - How Would You Like An Extra Month Every Year? 15 years 2 months ago #8982

Doh. Typo! 'as late'

Dominic Maricic
Home Inspector Pro Home Inspection Software - CEO
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.169 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.