• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Minding My Own Business, And The Phone Rings

Minding My Own Business, And The Phone Rings 15 years 3 months ago #7743

I'm quietly driving along and my phone rings.

It's one of the Northern Virginia county school supervisors.  It seems their county wants to do Virginia mandated radon tests each every classroom in each of their schools.

"Hi.  This is Smackdoodle Feinschmeegan.  Do you do multiple radon tests?"

I have never done multiple tests, except perhaps to have two or three devices out in the same day.  So -- here goes...

"I am a home inspector and do them sometimes in different houses at the same time.  How many tests do you need?"

"Approximately 2,000.  We don't know yet, but that would be about as close as I can come now...  We have 35 schools and each with different numbers of classrooms."

SO WHAT DO YOU SAY TO THAT ONE!?

Ubbida, immida, hummida, mmmm, "What is the time frame for these tests?"

"We're thinking late spring or early summer.  Not sure yet.  Can you help us?"

"I will check on the availability of the devices, and I am sure that with enough time I can come up with the numbers I would need (I HAD NOOOO IDEA ABOUT THAT...!) and we can go from there.  I can meet the protocols."

"Great!  I am calling three companies.  Yours is the first I have called."

"I will call the lab I deal with and see what they can do for us.  How did you get MY name?"

"On the web.  You came up everywhere I looked."

So there you go!  A web dope like me can position himself so a county he hardly works in can come up with his name.  What do you want to bet that if I get this gig, they give my name to the county next door...

May I suggest we all listen to Dominic when he counsels us to do something.  We must be doing something right!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Jay Markanich Real Estate Inspections, LLC
Based in Bristow, serving all of Northern Virginia
www.jaymarinspect.com
Northern Virginia Home Inspector
Festina Lente - Make Haste Slowly

Re: Minding My Own Business, And The Phone Rings 15 years 3 months ago #7748

WOW.... that's a HUGE job!  that could cover your whole years income in one shot!!!

HLC Home Inspections LLC
www.OklahomaHomeInspector.biz
We are a licensed inspector for the state of Oklahoma.?  Our focus is Oklahoma City, Moore, Mustang, Yukon, Tuttle, and many other areas surrounding OKC.
HLC-Home-Inspections-Oklahoma-City

HLC Home Inspections LLC...

Re: Minding My Own Business, And The Phone Rings 15 years 3 months ago #7750

That's the next problem - pricing...

www.jaymarinspect.com

Re: Minding My Own Business, And The Phone Rings 15 years 3 months ago #7752

Pricing, logistics, how they are going to pay you, how your going to pay lab fee's, time to do them and your normal inspections  I can keep going!  lol 

I would call the lab and try to set up an account for this particular job and pay at the end of the month. 

I would also require the school to pay a % up front for supplies.  They cant expect you would have that much testing equipment on hand!

HLC Home Inspections LLC
We are a licensed inspector for the state of Oklahoma.?  Our focus is Oklahoma City, Moore, Mustang, Yukon, Tuttle, and many other areas surrounding OKC.

Re: Minding My Own Business, And The Phone Rings 15 years 3 months ago #7753

I do my own lab work.  The lab I deal with would have to provide some spiking (about 3%) to make sure I am on track with my testing.  They also need to provide me a spread sheet for each school, something I am TOTALLY unfamiliar with.  Don't know about payments yet, but I would have to rent the devices per week ($1/device/week).

I also have to decide how to do this - a 2 day or 5 day test.  The price would vary per.  And the type of test would determine how many blanks and duplicates I set out.

Pricing, though, pricing.  That will make or break it.  Each class gets a device and I would charge per device.  That is the question!

www.jaymarinspect.com

Re: Minding My Own Business, And The Phone Rings 15 years 3 months ago #7778

Lots to think about... But I have confidence in you to pull it off.

HLC Home Inspections LLC

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.