• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: What do you make of this? (need some help please)

What do you make of this? (need some help please) 13 years 5 months ago #36001

Between the main panel (left) and the sub-panel (right).
Was covered with only cardboard.  Looks like this had a meter head on it??
Are those wires (the small blue ones ok?) I'm assuming the meter would have some sort of clips that fasten into these.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Robert Decker
Hawkeye Residential Inspections, LLC
Iowa City, IA
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.iowacityhomeinspections.com
Last Edit: by Robert Decker.

Re: What do you make of this? (need some help please) 13 years 5 months ago #36029

What do I make of this?  That the client needs to have an electrican fix that mess. 

The blue wires are acting as fuses since they are smaller diameter wire than the feeds.  Cardboard is not an approved enclosure cover.  If they did this, what else have they done that is incorrect that you have not found?  Get an electrician to clean up all the problems found and unfound.

Bruce Ramsey, ACI

Re: What do you make of this? (need some help please) 13 years 5 months ago #36105

• Jim Keilson
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Professionalism Is A Must
  • Thank you received: 0
Robert if that is the meter then that person has bypassed (removed) and "Jumped" the meter and is basically stealing their power.  I've run into this many times in my past as an electrical contractor.  As far as your job as an inspector, I would say, in the report, to have a licensed electrician, make the peroper repairs and get the proper state or local inspections performed. :o

Maryland Home Inspection Services Inc.
www.marylandhomeinspectionservices.com
State of Maryland License# 31141
Virginia License#3380 000468
National Association Of Certified Home Inspectors ID: NACHI10101807
International Association of Certified Indoor Air Consultants (IAC2). Certification #...

Re: What do you make of this? (need some help please) 13 years 3 months ago #37605

Robert, Jim is correct in that this is an example of someone "jumping " the meter, It is also very dangerous as the "fuse'" wires could start a fire easily especially with a cardboard cover. I have seen this before however and in that instance it was in a home converted from duplex to single family use. On inquiry I learned that as it was between the main panel and a sub panel they had done it not to steal but to have a single bill rather than the broken out bills from the former two units. It is in any case improper wiring and calls for a licensed electrician to remedy.

Title: Done Right Home Inspections
URL: www.muskokahomeinspection.ca Body: Inspecting from Hawkestone to Bracebridge,- Haliburton to Midland and all Muskoka. I don't do partial inspections, I don't do cheap inspections, I do Home Inspections done right!
Page Title: Done Right Home...
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.