• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Tablet decision

Re: Tablet decision 11 years 9 months ago #49736

We are heading out this afternoon to check the androids tablets. 

My dream is for HIP to develop the system where I can make a perfect inspection template,then when my client books a 2005 house I enter his name information then click on template and voila the report is done.  Now if there were any conditions I can just change those.  Currently that is what I have on my antiquated system.

HIP indicates that other inspectors did not want that set up and thats fine,  they do not have to use it.  I am going to review how to copy an inspection with the HIP guys then use it for most of my inspections.  I have also created older home inspection templates also, which I hope I can do with the HIP program also.

Thank you for everyones help.

Will

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Tablet decision 11 years 9 months ago #49754

Hi Will,

It was more of an issue of HIP being so easy to use versus other programs that it takes just as long to deselect items are wrong as time is saved by having things preselected. Plus with so many different types of houses it just becomes a huge ordeal to create a prefilled template for every different type home. It still is a feature we're working on just because we've had enough people ask for it.

Dominic Maricic
Home Inspector Pro Home Inspection Software - CEO

Re: Tablet decision 11 years 9 months ago #49772

I will give you an update on my decision...

I bought a CTL NL3 and had problems with it.  I tried multiple computers but had problems with all three.  It is now on the way back to them for a refund.  I bought a used HP Slate 500 off of ebay and used it today for the first time.  I am VERY pleased with it.  It is much lighter and the screen is nicer and you can use your finger instead of a pen.  I would highly recommend it.  The only drawback that I see is the lack of hard drive space.  So, it will have to be a daily use and then copy everything to the office computer. 

Re: Tablet decision 11 years 9 months ago #49787

For what it's worth, I used a CTL2go for a month or two and found it unworkable.  Had 2 1/2 hours of battery life, tops, and maybe I'm slow, but my inspections are 3-3 1/2 hours long.  To save battery life I tried having it cycle down, and that just cost me time revving it back up.  And REALLY don't like Windows.  Sold it on eBay.  I'm currently using a paper template of my own for quick note taking, followed by report preparation back in my office.  Lots more time in the office, but between notes and the photos I take, I can recreate the inspection.  That's why I don't agree that the iPad's lack of hand writing recognition is an issue.  For new or revised comments, I just need to be able to take 'shorthand' notes to myself, saving the process of crafting intelligent inspection-specific comments for the office.  There are some great iPad holders that give a secure one-handed grip, making comment selection and quick notes-to-self easy to do.  Gonna' stick with paper and more time in the office until the iPad version comes out...

Re: Tablet decision 11 years 5 months ago #50923

Any body out there have any good recommendations for a tablet to use in the field. I'm looking for one to run HIP on durning the inspection. What has been working good. Thanks

The Long Island Home Inspector
www.thelongislandhomeinspector.com
www.Howsmyhousehomeinspections.com
www.thelongislandhomeinspector.blogspot.com
Title: Long Island Home Inspections
Performing home inspections in Long Island, Nassau and Suffolk Counties.

Re: Tablet decision 11 years 5 months ago #50924

I know my comment just before yours on this thread indicated that I was going to wait for the iPad version of the software.  But... I ended up getting a Pantech Element.  It's available through AT&T, but I got mine on ebay.  It's an Android machine, but the real reason I wanted to give it a try is that it's waterproof.  I'm in the Puget Sound region where you have to assume the possibility of rain for about 9 months of the year, and I've done exteriors with the Element in a downpour and it works great.  It's an 8" screen.  I also picked up a holder that I found on Amazon that allows me to slip one hand through a strap and hold in easily.

Time to create page: 0.177 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.