• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Expand rating box?

Re: Expand rating box? 12 years 8 months ago #43578

Did a $1,300 home inspection Friday and the first thing out of the clients mouth about the report was; "Thank God you don't use thoes check box things in the report"!

Consideration when expanding their use.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Home Inspector
HVAC Systems Design
ITC Level III Thermography - Building Science Thermographer
Thermal Imaging
Serving Clarksville - Nashville TN and the Mid TN area
www.MidTnInspections.com
www.ThermalImagingScan.com
To link to my pages:
www.midtninspections.com/link-submission

Re: Expand rating box? 12 years 8 months ago #43580

Personally I think David is right.  Check boxes in a computer program are no different than the old 4 part carbon check boxes.  While the computer report can include pictures (a great upgrade) the information that the client relies on for their decision is still back in the dark ages when you only use a check list without any narratives.  Unfortunately some states require check box reports.

Each to his own. That is what makes for great debates and marketing differences.  ;D

There is nothing sweeter than the smell of fresh cut grass on a baseball infield, the click of a wooden bat and the taste of a hot dog at a warm sunny daytime double-header.

Re: Expand rating box? 12 years 8 months ago #43586

• Richard Overton
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I agree narrative is important and I do use it to describe anything of note. However, I find the check boxes serve two important purposes.
1. When I am proofing the report in PDF form, one of the things I look for is missing check boxes which could signify a missing component or something that got over looked.  Along the same line, when the client sees that Bath 3 toilet is checked "Functional" he knows it was looked at (and I know I looked at it.

2. I do very detailed, very thorough inspection and not all items I address are carried forward to the summary page. My clients can scan down the left side of the report and just read the Fair or Needs atten. comments alongside those boxes rather then having to wade through pages of narrative. Even with the system I use, reports tend to be 38-60 pages.

Re: Expand rating box? 12 years 8 months ago #43674

Here's a mock-up I did back in March about this very thing, the post was "Topic: Resurrecting old topics/ideas on template formatting".  I've moved away from even considering the checkboxes because I now just format my first selection panel to have all these kinds of conventions, i.e Appears Serviceable, Maintenance Needed, etc.

I like the idea of the check boxes just because you are always going to have clients who see the forrest and will skim checkboxes for the big issues and clients who see the trees who will read every letter and puncuation in the report.  I also like the checkboxes because they add some redundancy to the report which can save your bacon and reduce your liability. When the selection panels can be formatted with specific colors for specific words I will be in hog heaven. It's kind of difficult to say the inspector didn't do his duty when an issue is called out, a recommendation is made and the convention at the BEGINNING of the section says Repairs Recommended. That will be a good day.
Attachments:

Title: Home Inspection Peoria, IL
URL:  www.aaintegrityhomeinspection.com

Re: Expand rating box? 12 years 8 months ago #43675

posted by Richard Overton

peeping smokies

???

OOOHHHHHH, Beeping smoke alarms....    right?  I hope?

Title: Home Inspection Peoria, IL
URL:  www.aaintegrityhomeinspection.com

Re: Expand rating box? 12 years 7 months ago #43958

• Richard Overton
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Chirp, chirp ;D

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.