• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Signature Shrinkage

Signature Shrinkage 12 years 6 months ago #44286

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, I know...  I said "shrinkage"

Anyway, I'm going to go completely paperless for my contracts and I have a few questions and issues. 

First, I'm using an Iphone app to capture my client signature (until I can get a signature pad) because using a mouse or the touchpad is impossible and never legible. The Iphone saves it as a Jpeg at about 300x160 resolution, not huge but large enough to make a decent signature on the contract.  The problem is when I load the client signature from the external file, it first gives me an invalid File Type error(see attachment) and then it does actually import it, but it is TINY(other attachment).  What gives?  I attached the actual signature file I'm using as well.

Second, I'm just wondering because I haven't figured it out yet, it there a way to include the contract in the report? or do I have to add it after the fact.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Title: Home Inspection Peoria, IL
URL:  www.aaintegrityhomeinspection.com

Re: Signature Shrinkage 12 years 6 months ago #44288

You can add the contract via Edit Documents but it's not suggested for legal reasons. All contracts must be signed before work is started for them to be legally valid. So unless you put on the contract on the report that it's a COPY ONLY then don't do it! Even then it's not the greatest idea.

The signature size you listed is about right as the height scales down to the contract when printing. Try having them sign the iphone when it's turned sideways so that it's much longer than tall.

I'm not sure what's up with the error as it worked fine for me. Was the file extension (.jpg) in all caps (.JPG)?

Dominic Maricic
Home Inspector Pro Home Inspection Software - CEO

Re: Signature Shrinkage 12 years 6 months ago #44291

Hmm... Okay I did a little more testing and if I enlarge the size it changes nothing.  So HIP shrinks the file down to a pre-determined height?  It looks like that is what happens.  What I'm finding is that works for people with short and lengthy signatures, but of course my wife's(she's my test subject usually) signature is tall and stubby.  :)

I did find that the file works with no error if I copy it or modify it and save it under a new name.  So i assume that means there is something odd about the file when it some directly from the Iphone app.

The app I use does do the signature sideways, but it allows the use of the whole screen(like a 5x7 ratio).  I'll have to tell them to keep it short in height and long.

And the extension was ".jpg" in lowercase.
And lastly, I try to keep very current regarding legal issues involving inspections, but I have never heard anything about not having a contract included with the report. Even that inspection marketing guru Mike Crow puts the contract in his reports and even refers to it in the reports. I totally agree with getting the contract signed prior to the inspection, that's the law in Illinois. For my own sake and for guys reading this, could somebody give the thinking or concern behind that practice?

Title: Home Inspection Peoria, IL
URL:  www.aaintegrityhomeinspection.com

Re: Signature Shrinkage 12 years 6 months ago #44292

It's okay to include it within but you must make sure to put in big bold letters that it's only a COPY, signed original is on file. Otherwise the client can present the report with the unsigned signature line and try to say they never saw the report in advance. Or that the copy you have signed was signed from the copy in the report, after you performed the inspection.

Yes the height has to be predetermined because of the space within the contract page. I could see above bumping that space up in the future.

Dominic Maricic
Home Inspector Pro Home Inspection Software - CEO
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.166 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.