• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Corrupted client data file, anyone?

Corrupted client data file, anyone? 13 years 3 weeks ago #40668

So I started my inspection today by loading my template and inserting all my client information. Then I saved, closed HIP and shutdown the computer while I did the bulk of the exterior, roof and attic. I came back, booted up, started HIP and loaded the saved client data file.  I then loaded my photos, catagorized them and saved again.  This time I left the computer on and HIP open while I did the major systems (foundation, framing, HVAC, etc.).  When I came back, I loaded the next batch of photos and tried to generate a report, but HIP just sat there doing nothing.  I minimized the window to make sure there wasn't some windows alert lagging the computer and when I brought HIP back up, the HIP window was all black.  I finally had to Ctrl, Alt, Del to close HIP and reopen.

Since then I've found that only that specific client data file is the only one which I can't generate a report from without locking up HIP. All my older files work and if I start a new file it works too.  Everything else in HIP works in this client file except for the report generation.

So, my long-winded story leads to this: Did I somehow corrupt this one file?  AND...  What the heck did I do so that I won't do that again as my clients are sitting there waiting to see their report?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Title: Home Inspection Peoria, IL
URL:  www.aaintegrityhomeinspection.com

Re: Corrupted client data file, anyone? 13 years 3 weeks ago #40669

If it's still doing it, DEFINITELY send me that client file so I can take a look at it. There's a few possibilities that I've seen that are rare, but occur. The first is that if the system goes into hibernate or standby mode and there's any sort of error with your ram it can cause a problem as the file is stored in ram temporarily. The other problem is when Java decides it's time to update and the program is open. I've never heard of the program just going black before though so I'll have to check this out so that I can recreate it and look at the actual error internally that the file is throwing. Email it to me!

Dominic Maricic
Home Inspector Pro Home Inspection Software - CEO

Re: Corrupted client data file, anyone? 13 years 3 weeks ago #40670

Dominic,

Sounds very much to what has happened to me--as you well know.  The photos get an error and/or corrupted and HIP won't generate/print the pdf report.

Cameron, "Clear All Photos" then re-batch add all your inspection photos. Try and generate/print the pdf now, see what happens.

At least you have not lost any of the report data/comments--just the photos have to be reallocated.

Serge Delhoyo
NOVA home inspection LLC
www.novahomeinspection.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Re: Corrupted client data file, anyone? 13 years 3 weeks ago #40671

Sounds like an issue David Macy would have.

I have not had a corupt file in a long time.

The ones I did have were usually related to a corupt picture.

Yours may have something to do with batch adding the photos multiple times.

I wish I could help out but usually I only cause the problems.

Let us now how it goes!!

Home Safe Home Inspections
Link Url: Cleveland Home Inspector - www.hshinspections.net/
Body:Performing Home Inspections in Cleveland, Parma, Brecksville, Broadview Heights, North Royalton, Strongsville and surrounding areas.
Keywords:Parma,Broadview...

Re: Corrupted client data file, anyone? 13 years 3 weeks ago #40673

Serge,

I actually tried that already, I was thinking the same thing since it didn't really make sense that comment data would cause a lockup.  I was also going to delete one comment at a time just to see what would happen, But first I'll shoot a copy off to Dom.

Yours may have something to do with batch adding the photos multiple times.

That would stink. I use that to break up the time my clients are waiting on me.  It wasn't a major loss, I really didn't lose much work. Currently there is no realistic way I can get the report done in the field, just because my comment library isn't filled yet.  I bring the computer with me so I can get practice, load photos to shave off some reporting time later, and then I "finish" the "Exterior" section so I can review the basic layout of the report with clients.  I hadn't really done much besides load the photos and some client info.

Title: Home Inspection Peoria, IL
URL:  www.aaintegrityhomeinspection.com

Re: Corrupted client data file, anyone? 13 years 3 weeks ago #40674

Please send me a copy first.

I don't think it's related to the problems that you had in the past with bad ram David only because he's saying tha whatever is happening causes the program to completely freeze up. That doesn't sound like anything I've seen over the years but the file will tell me more.

Dominic Maricic
Home Inspector Pro Home Inspection Software - CEO
Time to create page: 0.174 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.