• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Addition to Software Suggestions

Re: Addition to Software Suggestions 13 years 1 month ago #40381

I worked through that same issue when I began designing my main template. I finally settled on something similar to what you are describing.  I posted a sample of the panel and the finished report.  About 75-80% of my panels have 2 selection (Condition & Description) and 1 damage(Observations).  They always have the same conventions and the damage panel, but sometimes I don't need a "Description" section. 

My "Description" panel has everything descriptive like Location, Type, Material, and all the system specific lists like BTU's, Amperage, etc.  My conventions are also written into whatever recommendation I give and these are 90% pre-written, but I am always making custom adjustments based on the house.  I really like the idea of more text formatting control within the panels so I could add color and bold to the conventions like you example. Currently I decided to tab the recommendations (I use the size of the comment editing box as a guide and each line starts with 7 spaces) and then all-caps the convention just before the recommendation to make it stand out. 

I admit I am not even close to being done with my damage comments and I've been typing them for over a month, but I really didn't care for most of what came with the template.  I've got about 1/3 of my comments and I really like the look, it is clean and uniform throughout the report.

Lastly, I use a system of footnotes as a "backup" for my recommendations. Illinois is a legal nightmare and I want to make sure everything I say in the report has a recommendation to do something, to take action.  I found out that you can use four footnotes which are common to just about every font in the world, 1, 2, 3 & *. "Repair or Replace". 

Cameron's post is one of the best I've read on this site for a while. It's easy to see that Cameron is committed to excellent content as well as a great looking report product. Well done on all your hard work in creating your HIP template!

I agree, what David would like, is to have a "comment building system" capability of writing a narrative with all the 'pieces' put together—in one sentence/comment/or line—with the proper separators (,/.) i.e. 1. Description of the condition. 2. Implication of the condition. 3. Recommended action.
And have the software do this without creating a lot of  ‘workarounds’. And thus, facilitate/speed up report writing in the field.

I still use the KISS rule. If I enter a comment in the 'Red' damage panel—it is a repair or replace item, it's in RED text, and it goes in the Summary. Adding the words "Repair or Replace" is redundant because all my comments in RED text are repair or replace. I state this at the beginning of the report and also at the top of the Summary section intro. I also state, at the beginning of the Summary section, that all of these issues should be corrected/fixed/repaired whatever, by qualified/licensed professionals, etc., etc. etc.

If I enter a comment in the 'Black' damage panel—it is an "Attention Item" and it's in BLUE text. Attention items are issues that are LESS significant / or minor / or maintenance / or monitor / or upgrade to current safety standards, etc. I define the meaning in clear terms—at the beginning of the report.

I use the Selection panels for everything else, in BLACK text.

Bottom line: Whatever can be done to speed up the production of a quality report is the prime directive. And I believe Dominic is doing that with each new version.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Serge Delhoyo
NOVA home inspection LLC
www.novahomeinspection.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Last Edit: by Serge DelHoyo.

Re: Addition to Software Suggestions 13 years 1 month ago #40382

I really enjoy this forum, the discussion makes my brain bigger, and the affirmation makes my head swell up to fit it. ;)

Dave, you read my mind.  Here's a quick one-tab template I also fiddled with (just a structural/foundation section) to see if it would work using a "list-heavy" approach. I abbreviated the list names so they could fit on a smaller resolution screen, and they are almost identical to what your last post described.  You're in my head man.

The only thing I noticed, which I hadn't yet come across before, is if you don't select something from a drop-down list the top item in your list and sometimes the title of the list gets inserted automatically into your comment.  Has anyone else had that happen?  I could correct it somewhat by inserting a one-space blank comment at the top of each list, but that puts an extra space in my comment which also looks a little awkward.

I think this style of template could really work for some guys, but you're right, it does involve a lot of clicks.  And the setup would be a big task.  If only you could cut and paste damage panel comments directly into lists...

What if when you inserted the line in the damage or selection panels then you could edit for the same line?

I don't follow this last part...  can you explain it more?  Do you mean when you click "Black" or "Red" it would automatically bring the comment up for editing without having to double click it?
Attachments:

Title: Home Inspection Peoria, IL
URL:  www.aaintegrityhomeinspection.com

Re: Addition to Software Suggestions 13 years 1 month ago #40387

Great discussions guys ;) I love seeing all the discussion back and forth as this is what makes Home Inspector Pro the best program out there. Lots of discussion which narrows down the best methods to implement into the program.

Dave, I don't see the difference in the number of clicks from clicking on 5 lists or clicking on 5 comments.

I could make an item separator that was just a space so that you could build your comments in line without lists. The problem is, what defines a new line if you're using the bullet feature? What I mean is, after you combine 5 comments into one narrative, how do you start a new narrative?

Cameron, by default the first item in a list get selected if you do nothing. This is made to speed things up and use less clicks. The assumption is that you move the most used list item to the top so no clicking is required when that is what you want to use.

David, you COULD use <<Convections>><<Sidewalk>><<Sidewalk>><<Locations>><<Recommendations>> as your narrative and it would work even if you don't use one of the sidewalks and you have no location. What you do is remove all the spaces like I did in the narrative itself and add the space INTO the list. So each item in the sidewalk starts with a space. That way the space is only included if you actually use the item in the list.

What Cameron mentioned about needing to add a blank though I'll have to check into. I'll need to allow an item in the list that's absolutely blank, no space included at all.

What Serge is talking about keeps things simple and looks great. I definitely think this is a model that everyone should at the very least consider.

Dominic Maricic
Home Inspector Pro Home Inspection Software - CEO
Last Edit: by Dominic Maricic.

Re: Addition to Software Suggestions 13 years 1 month ago #40388

I don't follow this last part...  can you explain it more?  Do you mean when you click "Black" or "Red" it would automatically bring the comment up for editing without having to double click it?

Lets say I insert 3 red lines of damage

Repair or replace
uneven surfaces
located at the public walk.

If within the damage panel the lines could be edited then all could be in one line and look like

Repair or Replace, uneven surfaces located at the public walk.

Also in youir sample of the heating section.

In heating systems, your condition area. I feel ypu have to do this because the program is not cable of doing what you want it to and you have to do this to try to get the look you want.

Cameron, Serge, myself and I am sure there are others have a higher level of detail then the norm.

Great to here from Serge.

Cameron you are right on, great forum and people.

Dom, get with the program will you :D

Karma for Serge and Cameron.

Dom does not get another one until he gets with the program.

Home Safe Home Inspections
Link Url: Cleveland Home Inspector - www.hshinspections.net/
Body:Performing Home Inspections in Cleveland, Parma, Brecksville, Broadview Heights, North Royalton, Strongsville and surrounding areas.
Keywords:Parma,Broadview...
Last Edit: by David Macy.

Re: Addition to Software Suggestions 13 years 1 month ago #40389

I still use the KISS rule. If I enter a comment in the 'Red' damage panel—it is a repair or replace item, it's in RED text, and it goes in the Summary. Adding the words "Repair or Replace" is redundant because all my comments in RED text are repair or replace. I state this at the beginning of the report and also at the top of the Summary section intro. I also state, at the beginning of the Summary section, that all of these issues should be corrected/fixed/repaired whatever, by qualified/licensed professionals, etc., etc. etc.

I use Repair and Replace and Safety Issue, both are red text, how would I one know if it was a safety or repair unless I started with the convection?

Home Safe Home Inspections
Link Url: Cleveland Home Inspector - www.hshinspections.net/
Body:Performing Home Inspections in Cleveland, Parma, Brecksville, Broadview Heights, North Royalton, Strongsville and surrounding areas.
Keywords:Parma,Broadview...

Re: Addition to Software Suggestions 13 years 1 month ago #40391

David, Please refer to my email response to you.

Short answer is: Safety Issues must be repaired or replaced also, right? Otherwise why would you write it up?  So the fact that it IS a safety issue just adds a more important implication to the condition at issue. But it is still a Repair or Replace item with the added weight of being a safety issue that should give the client a clue that it should be corrected.

Serge Delhoyo
NOVA home inspection LLC
www.novahomeinspection.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Last Edit: by Serge DelHoyo.
Time to create page: 0.256 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.