• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: another idea/update

another idea/update 13 years 5 months ago #37151

Dominic, you have made it so the tabs turn green when that tab has been used. Great!! How about this? Under report settings, there is a choice - section colors/print order -  When you un check a box, that item will not show up in your report. Can you make it so we cant fill out the unchecked item. Ex. I uncheck fuel system (because there is no gas meter), when I start filling out the report, the fuel system tab should not be there or be red to alert me not to touch that tab. Many times by habit, I have been filling in tabs and then realized, oh yeah, that section(tab) is not going to be included because I unchecked it in section colors....  Or to add another headache, how about this....If I have something checked in section colors/print order I cant save the report until I fill out all the sections I have checked.  For example: Many times  a pool was inspected. I fill the report out including all the pool info and I save and send the report. Then I get a call back "I though you inspected the pool?" I go back to the report to look and then realize I did not check the pool/spa box under "section color/print order". 

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: another idea/update 13 years 1 week ago #40915

Mark, I just read your post from December and liked your thoughts on it and the topic too.

One issue I wanted to add was that the tabs which turn green lose that designation when you close and later re-open the report(which happens often when starting onsite & finishing a report at the office, getting interrupted, etc.). I just find I have to re-look at all those tabs to remember where I was in the reporting. It's not terribly time consuming, but it is more time spent NOT doing the actual reporting.

First, it would be more helpful if those tabs remained green since they really don't designate that you are finished with the section. It really only helps you know which sections you have NOT been too yet.

Second, some kind of system for marking a section as "Finished" would really help. It could be something simple like a checkbox next to the tab name. If an inspector wanted to use the system he can by checking the box when he has finished the section to his liking. If he doesn't want to use the "Finished" system, he can ignore the box. It's only one additional click for that tab and it is visible if he is on that tab or not. You could also have the menus at the top automatically add a checkmark next to any section which had all it's tabs marked "finished". Then the inspector can see if he has completed that section without even going to it. I attached a pic of what this could look like.

Yes, this is all inspector driven, but it shouldn't lead to sections not being completed since there are several other "review" processes (photo review, proof-reading, etc.) which an inspector should be using anyway to verify the completeness of his report. This would just help reduce redundant reviewing of completed sections during the initial report making.

The tabs turning green are helpful, but they only can only be considered a “finished” indicator if the inspector wills himself(beyond all forces of nature) to never leave a tab once he has entered until it is absolutely finished. I don't see that happening ever in my lifetime. :)
Attachments:

Title: Home Inspection Peoria, IL
URL:  www.aaintegrityhomeinspection.com
Last Edit: by Cameron Anderson.

Re: another idea/update 13 years 1 week ago #40917

It just happened again this morning/last night!!!! I did the report last night, added ten attic pics and comments, saved it and sent it. This mornings email - Mark , where are the pics of the attic?  Looked at his report no attic! Went to my report, the attic section was not selected. Again,  I say that there needs to be some kind of checks and balances when you hit 'save' that shows or tells what sections are to be in or out. If I choose to work on a section, in this case attic... it should ask or tell me that "attic" has not been selected, or it should automatically be included. If I touch or work on pool items or roof, I must be discussing those items for a reason, and they should be included automatically.  Very upsetting!!

Re: another idea/update 13 years 1 week ago #40919

That would especially be useful for you guys who are adding and removing sections just because you have a wide variety of house features or types of inspections in your area.  I would say that just touching it should not make it alert you, but if you have entered data, basically selected ANYTHING in that section, that would be a clear sign you need that section included.  I've had times where I'm reviewing the report, but I'm not even aware of what sections I'm proofing, I'm focused on the grammar not which sections are present.  

Maybe the Print Order window should automatically pop up when you click "generate report" and it could indicate with red text which section has data, but has not been selected to print.

Outside of failing to even put one comment into a needed section, your idea would take care of adding all the right sections to the report automatically.

Title: Home Inspection Peoria, IL
URL:  www.aaintegrityhomeinspection.com
Last Edit: by Cameron Anderson.

Re: another idea/update 13 years 1 week ago #40933

Some guys have an info page that they add in information (surprise) which is for them only, not for the report. So auto adding won't work. But, making the print order window pop open when you click Generate, or asking if you're SURE you want to skip a page that has info.

Dominic Maricic
Home Inspector Pro Home Inspection Software - CEO
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.186 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.