• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Question About Becoming a Home Inspector

Re: Question About Becoming a Home Inspector 11 years 4 months ago #51266

Mike, Drew is right. Even with a lot of butt-load of background in construction and remodeling, I was very surprised at what I had yet to learn techically when I started studying for Home Inspections. And the marketing end is a different ballgame as well. Plus you have to be a great salesman. You really have to enjoy learning, and the learning is easier if you enjoy and have an interest in what you're learning. Some thinks will come natural, some will require some more analysis to "sink in". It is a very rewarding job for the most part.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Always tell the truth, do what you promise, and do it righter than right..always
Title: Inspection Connection
URL: www.charleston-home-inspector.com
Body: Performing Home Inspections in all of WV: Charleston, Huntington, Teays, Hurricane, and surrounding areas
Keywords: Charleston Home Inspector, St...

Re: Question About Becoming a Home Inspector 11 years 4 months ago #51277

Drew when you say "60% of our students go on after the classes are done" are you saying they go on to different things and quit or go on and continue the home inspector path?

Re: Question About Becoming a Home Inspector 11 years 4 months ago #51278

• James Levy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • NJ#24GI00101400, FL # HI7765
  • Thank you received: 0
60% continue on to home inspection 40% drop out. There is a high turnover with home inspectors also. Many think just being technically savvy is enough.

www.homespectllc.com
Homespect LLC
Home and commercial Inspections in Medford, Mount Laurel, Cherry Hill, Voorhees, Marlton NJ, and the surrounding areas.

Re: Question About Becoming a Home Inspector 11 years 4 months ago #51279

Do you find that those without previous construction backgrounds have some difficulty with credibility when they are starting out?

Re: Question About Becoming a Home Inspector 11 years 4 months ago #51280

• James Levy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • NJ#24GI00101400, FL # HI7765
  • Thank you received: 0
Nope. We are in a business that is unique in the fact that people never lay eyes on you until you show up at the property. Phone sales skills are a must and being able to take charge of the phone conversation is imperative. If you can ask your client "What are they looking for in a home inspector?" and successfully answer that question, you should book the job. Don't worry so much about your resume, after all they called because they liked what they saw on your website. When a client calls listen to their want and needs, find out about what makes them tick (First time home buyer?). No technical skills needed for that, but that is one of the reasons why many fail.

www.homespectllc.com
Homespect LLC
Home and commercial Inspections in Medford, Mount Laurel, Cherry Hill, Voorhees, Marlton NJ, and the surrounding areas.

Re: Question About Becoming a Home Inspector 11 years 4 months ago #51281

Mike, Drew makes excellent points. Like I said in the beginning of this thread...have the desire! Even though I grew up around the construction industry.. "technically"...it wasn't my career. And as pointed out earlier...having previous "trade" experience doesn't mean you know the other 8 building trades. Case and point...Dominic is one sharp software developer, but he's also learned the home inspection industry better than our competitors. Failure to succeed wont be because of your lack of construction knowledge. And above all, make sure your reports aren't filled will spelling and grammar errors. Poor writing skills will appear way before your lack of construction knowledge.

Dan Musielski
Inspector/Engineer
Assured Home Inspections; Batavia, IL
www.InspectThatHouse.com

See us in the Fox News Channel! FOX NEWS Shattered Dreams
www.foxnews.com/us/2010/10/13/foreclosur...ickens-experts-fear/
Time to create page: 0.193 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.