• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Deck Question

Deck Question 13 years 9 months ago #33907

I heard something the other day that I was not aware of.  Are Decks adjacent to masonary structure now to be totally independent and not bolted in.  Is this true and if so what year did this start?

Thanks in Advance
Preston Sandlin

Please Log in to join the conversation.

www.askthecharlotteinspector.com we perform home inspections in Charlotte NC, Mooresville NC, Huntersville, Cornelius, Denver, Gastonia, Lincolnton, Belmont, Mount Holly, Monroe, Waxhaw, Indian Trail, Concord, Kannapolis, http://www.charlottenchomeinspector.com  Harrisburg NC, Fort Mill...

Re: Deck Question 13 years 9 months ago #33911

Preston, that's new to me as it will be to the whole world. Please name your source. 

Title: San Antonio Home Inspections
Site: www.jwkhomeinspections.com
Body: JWK Inspections, San Antonio Home Inspector, Performing Home Inspections in San Antonio & all surrounding areas.
Keywords: San Antonio Home Inspections, New Home Construction Inspections, New Braunfels, Schertz, Home...
Last Edit: by Joe Keresztury.

Re: Deck Question 13 years 9 months ago #33916

One of my guys did a re inspection yesterday and the buyers had their own structural engineer out at the same time and this is what he was saying.  It was news to me but I wonder if this guy was maybe over zealous.  I will try to find out his name.

www.askthecharlotteinspector.com we perform home inspections in Charlotte NC, Mooresville NC, Huntersville, Cornelius, Denver, Gastonia, Lincolnton, Belmont, Mount Holly, Monroe, Waxhaw, Indian Trail, Concord, Kannapolis, http://www.charlottenchomeinspector.com  Harrisburg NC, Fort Mill...

Re: Deck Question 13 years 9 months ago #33923

What's important is where is he qouting from , what construction governing body? New IRC / IBC changes or is he making it up as he goes along? Actually it might not be a bad idea for changes dictating all decks, not just at masonry be freestanding, since improper ledger attachment to the house are the main reason for decks collapsing. Wondering if it's just his opinion or is there something that is coming as far as changes in code. So what's his source?

Title: San Antonio Home Inspections
Site: www.jwkhomeinspections.com
Body: JWK Inspections, San Antonio Home Inspector, Performing Home Inspections in San Antonio & all surrounding areas.
Keywords: San Antonio Home Inspections, New Home Construction Inspections, New Braunfels, Schertz, Home...

Re: Deck Question 13 years 9 months ago #33927

Good point.  I will try to find out.  My guy did ask him why though and he said it was because water will foollow the the bolt right through the flashing to the sill (since the bolt penetrates the flashing)  Still I don't know if he was getting this from some where or this was hust his opinion.

Preston Sandlin

Re: Deck Question 13 years 9 months ago #34150

The IRC does not allow for ledger board attachment to brick veneer.  The applicable portion states, "masonry veneer shall not support any vertical loads other than the dead load of the veneer above."  Some may say that drilling through the brick to the band takes the load off the brick but it does not, due to the separation of the structural components and the brick.  It puts the pressure right back on the brick.

The best way to do this is to have independent supports  (i.e.  posts and beams) next to the home for the support or to build the deck independent of the home and cantilever the joists back towards the home.

There is nothing sweeter than the smell of fresh cut grass on a baseball infield, the click of a wooden bat and the taste of a hot dog at a warm sunny daytime double-header.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.197 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.