• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: What were they thinking?

What were they thinking? 15 years 2 months ago #8531

I did an inspection here recently on a bank owned property. The initial inspection the house had been winterized. I went a head and inspected what I could and told my client I would come back and do the plumbing check when the house was dewinterized. So I go back and check all systems all three bathrooms and everything was great. Three weeks later 2 days after closing my client calls me and is freaking out because water is going everywhere in all 3 bathrooms by the toilets. He has no clue what to do! I calmly tell him to shut the main off and shut off the valves at each toilet. While he is doing this he notices that the water line has been disconnected at each one of the tanks. I called his agent to find out if anyone has been in the house and she called the listing company a number of times and they will not return her phone calls. This is the first time this has ever happened to me. Is it normal for a listing company to do this after the home inspection and if so why wouldn't they have notified someone. Fortunately the photos that I took of the bathrooms showed that they were connected. I just do not understand why anyone would have done that. My client is gonna try and call them tomorrow to see what they want to do about the saturated flooring and first floor ceiling damage, and first floor water damage. This is his first home he is only 22 years old and completely clueless. I felt bad for the kid.

Best regards,

Frank Phillips

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Certified Home and Termite Inspector in Lancaster, Logan,Carroll,Circleville,Columbus Ohio
Body: Certified Home and Termite Inspector serving Lancaster,Circleville,Carroll,Columbus,Ohio
www.phillipsinspectionservices.com
Mta Des Samez Body...

Re: What were they thinking? 15 years 2 months ago #8613

• Ian Niquette
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Just another goofy lookin guy with no hair!!
  • Thank you received: 0
Frank, with more and more stuf like this happening, I advise my clients to have their agent or inspector accompany them on their FITST trip to their new home, just to make sure everything is good to go. You just never know nowadays. Feel bad for the kid myself. Hop eeverything works out for him.

Square One Home Inspection
Square One Home Inspection proudly serves Green Lake, Fond du Lac, Dodge, Marquette, Columbia, Winnebago, and Waushara Counties. Complete home inspections, thermal imaging and Radon testing available.
www.squareonehomeinspection.com
Keywords : Fond du Lac Home Inspection,...

Re: What were they thinking? 15 years 2 months ago #8619

Excellent idea Ian.  So many problems and issues can be avoided by having the client present during the inspection.  I've made it a policy to have my clients present during the entire inspection years ago.  I even promote it on my website home page.  I'm still amazed at how many inspectors want to operate under the cloak of secrecy.  This is the perfect time to show the client your stuff.  See that you crawled under the house or inside the attic or were on the ladder checking the roof.  You build a relationship with the client during the inspection process that can help you for not only that individual property, but many more in the years to come...

URL : www.progressiveinspection.com
Title: Irvine Home Inspector
Description: Providing home inspections in California, including: Dana Point, Laguna Niguel, Mission Viejo, San Clemente, Irvine, Aliso Viejo, Temecula, Corona, Laguna Niguel, Rancho Santa Margarita, Laguna Woods
Keywords: Dana...

Re: What were they thinking? 15 years 2 months ago #8631

Sounds like the previous owners came back to wreck some damage. There's no reason a listing agency would disconnect a toilet line!

Dominic Maricic
Home Inspector Pro Home Inspection Software - CEO

Re: What were they thinking? 15 years 2 months ago #8634

I was in the Temecula area last week inspecting a home.  About an hour into the inspection we see 8-10 police cars and tow trucks drive down the street.  Come to find out, the foreclosed homes at the end of the street were having a "Criags List" sale.  They had advertised pick your own part!  People were taking the front doors, water heaters, AC condensers, appliances and cabinets.  That all stopped when the police showed up!

I think your right Dom, no doubt some upset homeowner or a prospective client looking for deal on a water damaged home were involved.

URL : www.progressiveinspection.com
Title: Irvine Home Inspector
Description: Providing home inspections in California, including: Dana Point, Laguna Niguel, Mission Viejo, San Clemente, Irvine, Aliso Viejo, Temecula, Corona, Laguna Niguel, Rancho Santa Margarita, Laguna Woods
Keywords: Dana...

Re: What were they thinking? 15 years 2 months ago #8636

:o Wow, definitely brings a new meaning to the word pick-a-part!

Dominic Maricic
Home Inspector Pro Home Inspection Software - CEO
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.