• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Wire size for Hot water heater

Re: Wire size for Hot water heater 11 years 6 months ago #50229

Yes, and we should also point out types of wire of the same size also have a difference in capacity. We are not talking about Aluminum vs Copper either.

All you guys need to collect all the needed information about what is there before you make a call on something bad that may not be.

10 AWG Wire Size (all)

Type Wire
TW, UF = 30Amps
THHW, THW, THWN = 35 Amps
THHN, THHW = 40 Amps

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Home Inspector
HVAC Systems Design
ITC Level III Thermography - Building Science Thermographer
Thermal Imaging
Serving Clarksville - Nashville TN and the Mid TN area
www.MidTnInspections.com
www.ThermalImagingScan.com
To link to my pages:
www.midtninspections.com/link-submission

Re: Wire size for Hot water heater 11 years 6 months ago #50231

Great point David! I was taught this in the standby generator business but never incorporated it into a home inspection, and it is truly important to know. Now that you have shined the light on it, we should be aware of the type of wire (insulation) that we are actually looking at. Thank you

Always tell the truth, do what you promise, and do it righter than right..always
Title: Inspection Connection
URL: www.charleston-home-inspector.com
Body: Performing Home Inspections in all of WV: Charleston, Huntington, Teays, Hurricane, and surrounding areas
Keywords: Charleston Home Inspector, St...

Re: Wire size for Hot water heater 11 years 6 months ago #50430

All the somewhat off-topic discussion aside, #12 wire protected by a 30 amp breaker is always wrong (a few obscure exception may exist).  Smaller heaters could have smaller elements that could be served by a 20 amp circuit, but the size size and breaker capacity should still match.  In my opinion, as a HI it, is not our job to redesign the circuit; instead we should call for qualified evaluation and leave it at that.

Title : Emerald City Inspections, LLC- Dublin, GA
URL : www.dublinhomeinspections.com
Desc: Emerald City Inspections, LLC performs guaranteed "peace of mind" property inspections in Dublin and Laurens County, Georgia.  Call today - your home inspector for life !
Meta Keys : Certified...

Re: Wire size for Hot water heater 11 years 6 months ago #50436

"In my opinion, as a HI it, is not our job to redesign the circuit; instead we should call for qualified evaluation and leave it at that."

So please tell me who pays for that "qualified evaluation"?!

It's my opinion that if a HI does not want to make the call, he/she should keep their mouth shut.

If your not going to collect the required information noted in the off-topic replies then should the buyer deduct the "qualified evaluation" from your fees?

Just wondering...

Home Inspector
HVAC Systems Design
ITC Level III Thermography - Building Science Thermographer
Thermal Imaging
Serving Clarksville - Nashville TN and the Mid TN area
www.MidTnInspections.com
www.ThermalImagingScan.com
To link to my pages:
www.midtninspections.com/link-submission

Re: Wire size for Hot water heater 11 years 6 months ago #50437

If in doubt, I "keep my mouth shut", as David suggests. I post my question on this or other HI forum, and if it is answered  before I need to send the report to my client, the point is noted on the report. That's my qualified evaluation. If I don't get any answer, then it is not mentioned in the report. Better to not say anything than to say something that's incorrect. The only time I may suggest a client obtain a "qualified evaluation" is something not in the scope or standards, for instance, a furnace not operating properly or A/C unit that is physically damaged or barely working, lights going dim when operating another light, etc., that would require further investigation by a professional contractor. HI's are only "opinion and observation professionals" by the Standards of Practice.

Always tell the truth, do what you promise, and do it righter than right..always
Title: Inspection Connection
URL: www.charleston-home-inspector.com
Body: Performing Home Inspections in all of WV: Charleston, Huntington, Teays, Hurricane, and surrounding areas
Keywords: Charleston Home Inspector, St...

Re: Wire size for Hot water heater 11 years 6 months ago #50446

All the SOPs I have seen require the HI to report any defects observed;  nowhere have I seen a requirement to redesign the problems found.  If you are licensed as an electrician or PE, feel free to go as deep into the situation as you wish; however, the majority of HIs are not qualified to make code design decisions. Who pays?  In this case, the qualified and licensed electrician will not charge the client any extra for "evaluating" when the client calls him to make the repair (as the HI has recommended).

Title : Emerald City Inspections, LLC- Dublin, GA
URL : www.dublinhomeinspections.com
Desc: Emerald City Inspections, LLC performs guaranteed "peace of mind" property inspections in Dublin and Laurens County, Georgia.  Call today - your home inspector for life !
Meta Keys : Certified...
Time to create page: 0.234 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.