• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Electrical wall outlets upside down

Re: Electrical wall outlets upside down 12 years 4 months ago #45103

Please Log in to join the conversation.

There is nothing sweeter than the smell of fresh cut grass on a baseball infield, the click of a wooden bat and the taste of a hot dog at a warm sunny daytime double-header.

Re: Electrical wall outlets upside down 12 years 4 months ago #45116

Now that's a good post, Stephen.  :)

Jim's right Fred. It doesn't matter.  The only annoying aspect of the ground-up installation that I've found is that manufacturers always seem to make big heavy transformers on small electronics with the polarized plugs situated with the ground position down.(even though they have no ground)  The weight of the transformers often makes them sag out of the receptacle and since they have no ground, the very concern of shorting the exposed hot/neutral is once again present.  In some situations the very equipment using the outlet may determine the best orientation.

Title: Home Inspection Peoria, IL
URL:  www.aaintegrityhomeinspection.com

Re: Electrical wall outlets upside down 12 years 4 months ago #45136

It makes my job easier when the builder or electrician install the switched receptacle upside down so I do not have to test all of them to find the one on a switch. Sometimes the switch is the top receptacle, sometime the bottom.

Like others have stated no issues installing with the ground pin up.

Home Safe Home Inspections
Link Url: Cleveland Home Inspector - www.hshinspections.net/
Body:Performing Home Inspections in Cleveland, Parma, Brecksville, Broadview Heights, North Royalton, Strongsville and surrounding areas.
Keywords:Parma,Broadview...

Re: Electrical wall outlets upside down 12 years 4 months ago #45228

So which way do you install it when only one outlet in a duplex receptacle is switched?

Title : Emerald City Inspections, LLC- Dublin, GA
URL : www.dublinhomeinspections.com
Desc: Emerald City Inspections, LLC performs guaranteed "peace of mind" property inspections in Dublin and Laurens County, Georgia.  Call today - your home inspector for life !
Meta Keys : Certified...

Re: Electrical wall outlets upside down 12 years 4 months ago #45229

Doesn't matter. It's all contractor choice (or home owner if they are that involved). In my area they are rarely flipped, and the few times I have seen them flipped it wasn't because they were switched. 

Having re-read this topic, I am now wondering if the screws holding the outlet to the box should be horizontal or vertical as well.  ;)

Title: Home Inspection Peoria, IL
URL:  www.aaintegrityhomeinspection.com

Re: Electrical wall outlets upside down 12 years 4 months ago #45231

Torx screws...to 10 in-lbs ;)

Dan Musielski
Inspector/Engineer
Assured Home Inspections; Batavia, IL
www.InspectThatHouse.com

See us in the Fox News Channel! FOX NEWS Shattered Dreams
www.foxnews.com/us/2010/10/13/foreclosur...ickens-experts-fear/
Time to create page: 0.315 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.