• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Flex conduit connection

Flex conduit connection 12 years 5 months ago #43981

Does anybody know what this connection is. It's in the attic of a condo in California. This house has  fire sprinklers, could it have something to do with the sprinklers?

Mike
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

The Orange County Home Inspector serves Orange County California as a property inspector and I travel to L.A. San Diego and Riverside as well. I travel anywhere in the world as a Construction Defects Expert Witness, I also do Reserve Studies for HOA's. Licensed Gen Contractor, ICC Certified Bldg...

Re: Flex conduit connection 12 years 5 months ago #43982

Fire sprinklers are passive devices.  There is a small glas vial in the sprinkler head.  There is a liquid or other material in the vile that boils or expands at given temperatures.  When the material expands, it breaks the vial.  The vial is just a stopper on a pipe full of water under pressure.  The vial breaks, the water is free to flow.  The cog looking device is a disperment device.  It breaks the water up into sprinkles or droplets instead of a steady stream flowing from the pipe.  Droplets absorb heat better than a steady stream.  It also serves to disperse the water over a wider area.

Water converts to steam when heated.  To convert water to steam consumes a lot of heat energy thereby cooling the room and contents to a point below the ignition point.  As the room cools, less water turns to steam and falls to extinguish the flames by createing a seperation between the fuel and flame.  Each and every sprinkler head is individually controlled by its own vial.  Sprinkler systems do not activate all heads just because one went off.  This is a false idea progated by weak story lines in TV and Movies.

There are 2 kinds of sprinker systems, wet and dry.  Wet systems have water in the pipes all the time while dry systems are dry.  There is a delay between when the vial breaks and water fills the system to the tripped sprinkler head.  Dry systems have fewer problems with leaks.

There are no electrical componets to a sprinkler system.

Bruce Ramsey, ACI

Re: Flex conduit connection 12 years 5 months ago #44009

That is metallic shielding for two wires.

Where is it located that requires protection?

Why did the protection terminate?

Where did the wires go to (outside of the picture)?

Is there high-voltage on the wires?

The material in requires a bushing at the end. This may be just to keep the bushing in place.

Home Inspector
HVAC Systems Design
ITC Level III Thermography - Building Science Thermographer
Thermal Imaging
Serving Clarksville - Nashville TN and the Mid TN area
www.MidTnInspections.com
www.ThermalImagingScan.com
To link to my pages:
www.midtninspections.com/link-submission

Re: Flex conduit connection 12 years 5 months ago #44013

David,

Thanks for your reply. I don't know where this wire came from or where it went to, it was obscured by insulation. I have just never seen a red (hot?) wire coming out of a flex conduit with wierd looking red putty. Have you seen this red putty before, used in this way?

Mike

The Orange County Home Inspector serves Orange County California as a property inspector and I travel to L.A. San Diego and Riverside as well. I travel anywhere in the world as a Construction Defects Expert Witness, I also do Reserve Studies for HOA's. Licensed Gen Contractor, ICC Certified Bldg...

Re: Flex conduit connection 12 years 5 months ago #44017

No I have not.

That type of wire should not go anywhere without a conduit.

Home Inspector
HVAC Systems Design
ITC Level III Thermography - Building Science Thermographer
Thermal Imaging
Serving Clarksville - Nashville TN and the Mid TN area
www.MidTnInspections.com
www.ThermalImagingScan.com
To link to my pages:
www.midtninspections.com/link-submission

Re: Flex conduit connection 12 years 5 months ago #44051

Looks like a home owner fix to me. Definately not right.

CSI-Comprehensive Site Inspections LLC , http://www.citrushomecheck.com   Serving all of Citrus County Florida, Including Inverness, Crystal River, Homosassa, Beverly hills, Floral City. Performing Home inspections, Four point inspections, Wind mitigation inspections. Specializing in...
Time to create page: 0.229 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.