• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Ground rod not visible

Ground rod not visible 12 years 9 months ago #42255

On this New Home Pre Move In Inspection, there was no visible ground rod observed, as was then noted in my report.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Title: San Antonio Home Inspections
Site: www.jwkhomeinspections.com
Body: JWK Inspections, San Antonio Home Inspector, Performing Home Inspections in San Antonio & all surrounding areas.
Keywords: San Antonio Home Inspections, New Home Construction Inspections, New Braunfels, Schertz, Home...
Last Edit: by Joe Keresztury.

Re: Ground rod not visible 12 years 9 months ago #42257

So then what happened was my clients hired me to do a re-inspection along w/ being their for their re walk thru w/ builder before closing. I reviewed all my items on the original report w/ client and builder rep present. Most were taken care of or being taken care of/ resolved at this time. When the item came up that the ground rod was not visible as needed for verification of it being there, the builder rep said it was there, just covered and he voluntered to uncover it for my clients for their satisfaction to verify it was there.
With his shovel he dug away after pulling up fresh sod. I told him it sure appears to be deep. He said yeh, because we added backfill for drainage. With anticipation my clients and I watched as he kept digging deeper and side to side. Eventually he pulled up the copper grounding wire and said, looks like it came loose. That, or there isn't a ground rod in there, I said- (thinking it was a joke at the time). Well after a while the builder rep tired from digging in the 100 degree Texas heat and gave the shovel to 2 workers who kept diggin to ? no avail. He was on the phone on and off as we all sweated while waiting and watching. Eventually the builder rep came walking up with an 8' copper rod. They gave up digging and hammered in this new ground rod brought up from down the street. Wonder if a house down the street will be ground rodless. Not if I inspect it !! ? :D
The pictures here show the unattached ground wire discovered buried and the next pic shows a ground rod (new ground rod) being hammered into the ground replacing the one that was supposedly there and got away, the one they are still looking for. ? ::)
Attachments:

Body: JWK Inspections, San Antonio Home Inspector, Performing Home Inspections in San Antonio & all surrounding areas.
Keywords: San Antonio Home Inspections, New Home Construction Inspections, New Braunfels, Schertz, Home...
Last Edit: by Joe Keresztury.

Re: Ground rod not visible 12 years 9 months ago #42274

• Bert de Haan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • If it is worth doing, it's worth doing well.
  • Thank you received: 0
Good job Joe.  Quite an angle for that new rod isn't it?

Bert de Haan
www.KitchenerWaterlooHomeInspector.ca
Benchmark Home Inspection Services Kitchener-Wateroo and Guelph area Home Inspection
Serving Kitchener-Waterloo, Guelph, Orangeville, Mount Forest and surrounding areas.
Keywords: Kitchener-Waterloo home inspector, Guelph home inspection,...

Re: Ground rod not visible 12 years 9 months ago #42276

A ground rod can be up to 45 degrees installed Bert.
Hope you are doing good, my buddy. :D

Re: Ground rod not visible 12 years 9 months ago #42277

• Bert de Haan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • If it is worth doing, it's worth doing well.
  • Thank you received: 0
I didn't know that.  Thanks.  And yes, I'm doing well. 

Bert de Haan
www.KitchenerWaterlooHomeInspector.ca
Benchmark Home Inspection Services Kitchener-Wateroo and Guelph area Home Inspection
Serving Kitchener-Waterloo, Guelph, Orangeville, Mount Forest and surrounding areas.
Keywords: Kitchener-Waterloo home inspector, Guelph home inspection,...

Re: Ground rod not visible 12 years 9 months ago #42314

I can't remember the last time I saw new construction with a ground rod.  They are almost exclusively UFER grounds.  What result did you get when you tested the outlets?. 

There is nothing sweeter than the smell of fresh cut grass on a baseball infield, the click of a wooden bat and the taste of a hot dog at a warm sunny daytime double-header.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.