• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Question on electrical in garage

Question on electrical in garage 13 years 8 months ago #33896

I came across a 4 way 120Volt outlet in a garage today. It is on a 30 amp breaker in panel. All wiring is correct. Just wondering if it is ok to put a 30 amp breaker on 120 volt system. I have only seen 15 and 20 amp systems in the past.

Receptical appears to be 20 amp

Thanks
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Bent Nail Inspections
Serving Boise, Meridian, Eagle, Nampa, Caldwell and surrounding areas
Boise home inspector, boise home inspections, Meridian home inspector, Idaho Home Inspection, Nampa Home Inspector
Boise home Inspections   
www.bestboisehomeinspection.com/ ...
Last Edit: by Davin Strand.

Re: Question on electrical in garage 13 years 8 months ago #33938

Two issues would concern me.
1. what is the gauge of the wiring? It would need to be 10 ga. or heavier to not over heat under that load.
2. were the receptacles 30 amp rated. I'm not sure you can even purchase 30 amp 120's?

Hope that helps. Sounds like a job for an electrician!

Tim Barnett
www.acclaimhomeinspection.com
Title: Acclaim Home Inspections, LLC
Body; Serving: Evansville, IN, Wadesville, IN Poseyville, IN Newburgh, IN, Tell City, IN, Boonville, IN and Princeton, IN
Keywords;home inspector, home inspections, energy audits, Evansville, IN, Wadesville, IN,...

Re: Question on electrical in garage 13 years 8 months ago #34077

20 amp receptacles typically have the little extra sideways line beside the opening, so those pictured look like 20's.  But it is important that wiring and receptacle be compatible and sized the same.  I often see 20 amp GFI's in bathrooms wired for 15 amps.  That is incorrect.

Jay Markanich Real Estate Inspections, LLC
Based in Bristow, serving all of Northern Virginia
www.jaymarinspect.com
Northern Virginia Home Inspector
Festina Lente - Make Haste Slowly

Re: Question on electrical in garage 13 years 6 months ago #35210

20 amp receptacles typically have the little extra sideways line beside the opening, so those pictured look like 20's.  But it is important that wiring and receptacle be compatible and sized the same.  I often see 20 amp GFI's in bathrooms wired for 15 amps.  That is incorrect.

Not sure I understand why that particular situation is incorrect.  If the wire is #14 and the breaker is 15 amp, I'm not sure it matters that the receptacle is rated for 20 amps.  Overkill, perhaps, but since it is being protected by a 15 amp breaker it should never see more than 15 amps +/-.  Also, although I don't profess to be a code expert, I believe that multiple 15 amp receptacles are allowed on 20 amp circuits (#12 wire) because such receptacles are rated for 20 amp pass-through.

Title : Emerald City Inspections, LLC- Dublin, GA
URL : www.dublinhomeinspections.com
Desc: Emerald City Inspections, LLC performs guaranteed "peace of mind" property inspections in Dublin and Laurens County, Georgia.  Call today - your home inspector for life !
Meta Keys : Certified...

Re: Question on electrical in garage 13 years 6 months ago #35222

Makes sense Frank

Title: San Antonio Home Inspections
Site: www.jwkhomeinspections.com
Body: JWK Inspections, San Antonio Home Inspector, Performing Home Inspections in San Antonio & all surrounding areas.
Keywords: San Antonio Home Inspections, New Home Construction Inspections, New Braunfels, Schertz, Home...

Re: Question on electrical in garage 13 years 6 months ago #35224

Davin,
It is wrong. The plugs (and wiring if not orange romex "10G") are not rated for the load. The solution is to replace the breaker.
BTW they do make a 30 amp 110. Wired one in for my camper one time. They need 30 amps. BOught the plug at lowes.

Knoxville TN Home Inspector
Fogarty Home Inspection Services
Professional mold and radon testing of east Tn
Professional home and commercial inspections of Knoxville
www.homeinspectorknoxville.com
Title: Home Inspector Knoxville
Meta Keywords- Knoxville home inspection, Oak Ridge TN home inspector,...
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.187 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.