• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: How to speed up your computer, for free

How to speed up your computer, for free 16 years 5 months ago #1

Have you noticed your computer is slowing down? If you're running windows, here's a few things to run through to resolve the program.

1. Check out how much free space you have on your C drive. You should have at least 15-20% free for normal operation. To check this click on My Computer in XP or Computer in Vista. And look under the C drive, it will tell you how much space you're using, divide what's available by the total * 100 to get your free percentage. If you're low, go to Add/Remove programs and remove some of the programs there you never use. You can also use a utility like WinDirStat (great program!) to find large files clogging up your computer.

2. If you are running norton antivirus or mcafee antivirus and your subscription is up, remove them. Both programs slow down your computer considerably. Then reboot your computer and go install AVG, which has a free alternative which rivals the paid versions of the above and doesn't slow your computer down. You download AVG Antivirus and AntiSpyware here. After installing them, update and run both to remove any viruses or spyware.

3. Run the system defragmenter. You should do this at least once a month and if you've never done it, then it's a reason your computer is going slow. To get to it go to the Start Menu->All Programs->Accessories->System Tools->Defragmenter. Run this on all the hard drives you have on your system, most of you will just have one. If you've never run it before, run it even if it tells you that you don't need to.

4. This one is a little more advanced, and top secret but you guys can handle it, if you have any questions, just ask here. Click on Start, and type in MSCONFIG into the run box and click enter. A program called the System Configuration will open up. Click on the Startup tab (last one in xp, 2nd to last in vista). This is a list of every program that starts when your computer starts up. Most of it does not need to be here!! You can safely uncheck every program here without killing your computer, so don't be afraid (though you usually want a few to remain checked). If you find you need something checked, just go back and recheck it after you reboot. So, the question is, which programs do you want to remove? Here's how you tell.

First, uncheck everything related to quicktime and real player, they always manage to check themsevles. Expand the command column so you can see the entire column of file names. If you recognize the program, and don't care if it starts when Windows starts (you can always manually start the program, like quicktime) then uncheck it. If you are unsure what the program is then type in just the file name itself, like Acrotray.exe into google and the first few sites listed will tell you exactly what it is. In this case, adobe acrobat. Acrobat is actually partially running on your system even though you aren't using it! Why? Well, for example if you were running Home Inspector Pro which uses Acrobat, then your first pdf creation of the day would start up a whole 3-5 seconds faster. Not really worth it, so uncheck the box. Go through all the programs, typing them into google and uncheck the ones you don't want to start. Usually there is a touchpad program for laptops and a few other programs you might want to keep but 90% you will uncheck. Just ask here if you are unsure, or uncheck it and reboot and see what happens. I guarantee this will speed up your machine quite a bit. Often times you will even find a virus or spyware listed here as well.

Those are a few relatively easy ways to speed up your computer. There are others such as buying more ram, but those cost money.

Did any of these tip help speed up your computer? Let us know!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Dominic Maricic
Home Inspector Pro Home Inspection Software - CEO

Re: How to speed up your computer, for free 15 years 11 months ago #1324

I have not been able to defrag my computer for several months now.
I have used several programs and all lock up or fail.

Do you have any ideas?

Home Inspector
HVAC Systems Design
ITC Level III Thermography - Building Science Thermographer
Thermal Imaging
Serving Clarksville - Nashville TN and the Mid TN area
www.MidTnInspections.com
www.ThermalImagingScan.com
To link to my pages:
www.midtninspections.com/link-submission

Re: How to speed up your computer, for free 15 years 11 months ago #1326

How much free space do you have on your computer. Click on My Computer and right click on your C drive and look at properties. To properly defrag you need more than 15% free. Some programs can do it with less space but it's much slower.

Dominic Maricic

Re: How to speed up your computer, for free 15 years 11 months ago #1333

45%

I did your advice #4 above (which I do on a frequent basis) and shut down more stuff that I have before and I think I got rid of what is stalling the defrag. I need to test more first.

I think I allowed start up  to go back to a normal boot and there is something in there effecting defrag.  I'll let you know. Thanks.

Home Inspector
HVAC Systems Design
ITC Level III Thermography - Building Science Thermographer
Thermal Imaging
Serving Clarksville - Nashville TN and the Mid TN area
www.MidTnInspections.com
www.ThermalImagingScan.com
To link to my pages:
www.midtninspections.com/link-submission

Re: How to speed up your computer, for free 15 years 11 months ago #1334

Yeah after you make the changes in #4 and reboot a message comes up and asks if it's ok to have the changes permanent. Say yes (you can always reselect items later).

45% is tons of space, something (probably your antivirus program) is blocking the defrag. Let me know.

Dominic Maricic

Re: How to speed up your computer, for free 15 years 11 months ago #1335

Dom - wow, bunch of info!  Did this thread start because of my question to you last week?  A couple of things:
1.  I defrag all the time.  Usually my computer does the analysis thing and decides it isn't necessary, I guess because I do it a lot.
2.  I did an inspection last Saturday for a guy who is a big-wig programmer at Norton (moving from Reston VA to CA as soon as his house sells - he's in CA now) and I asked him about your AVG, Panda, Norton suggestions.  Of course he is pro-Norton!  But, says he, Norton does have the slow-down complaint but neither Panda or AVG approach its protective abilities.  What if AVG were coupled with something like Spy Sweeper?  Slow?
3.  When you say Norton, you have to use that low, raspy voice like Jackie Gleason (you may be too young to understand this) and have a New York accent and kind of drag it out - Nooooorton!!...

These were great suggestions and I am doing some of them now!  Grrrathiath...

Jay Markanich Real Estate Inspections, LLC
Based in Bristow, serving all of Northern Virginia
www.jaymarinspect.com
Northern Virginia Home Inspector
Festina Lente - Make Haste Slowly
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.