• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Adding a Text Formatting Feature into HIP Comments

Re: Adding a Text Formatting Feature into HIP Comments 12 years 11 months ago #41645

I wasn't around for the original development of the program and all of the discussion among the guys, but I assume that the black/red convention was set up to put the comments in the red panel in the Summary.  That's where all the red panel stuff ends up anyhow, right?  I guess if it is going in the Summary which is in itself flags all of those comments as immediately important, how much difference does the red color make?  It redundantly seems to re-emphasize what I just emphasized by putting it in the red box in the first place.  Could part the solution be just to re-name the red box as SUMMARY and let the colors and formatting of the Summary items be up to the inspector?

The red is redundant only on the summary page(and quite a bit redundant I think). If you choose to not have a summary page, the red/summary comments are emphasized within the report itself not only by their color, but also by their placement.  They are always the last comments prior to the photos, a feature of the red/summary panel which may be important to some guys. I'm not a user of the red/summary panel, but I'll bet you would have a mutiny if you changed it much.

You bring up an important point Bob, I think in the area of formatting HIP should lean toward user control of the decisions.  If the user wants to, they could set up HIP to run exactly like it does now, regardless of the formatting options which are changed.

What about on selection panels. You set the default color to green for example. Then you change the color of one word in the comment. Does that color stay and the rest change to green when you select the comment?

Okay, what I'm about to say is not at all intended to step on toes or disparage anyone's reporting style, but I think all the blue, green, purple, etc., etc. formatting looks unprofessional and in poor taste.  I can't think of one English teacher or professor, one CEO, one newspaper or magazine... I can't think of any professional, literary paper or writing style which would promote or encourage the use of purple or green formatting for the text of a professional service report.  I understand red...  AT TIMES... 

I say that because I just don't think the template or panel-wide formatting is all that important. Just let the user format his comments in the panels when he creates them and then the formatting goes with it to the report.  If you don't like reading purple or green when you write the report, why would you make your client do it?  Okay, that ends the rant.

On a more balanced note, basic color choices could be just that, basic. If you choose green, then everything is green unless you make a change in the panel. It's really no different than black. If I have black as the basic font color and then I want to change the color of one word in the selection panel, wouldn't the system would have to deal with it the same as if my basic color was green?

I could use the system you suggested Dom. Just let the red button override the color(it's called the “red button” for a reason!) and let the black transfer everything.  But can't the “black” still be colored blue or green or purple as the base font color?  Maybe that's the only formatting which should be report-wide, the base font color of each section.  Let the inspector format the rest within the comments themselves and in the red/black columns too if needed.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Title: Home Inspection Peoria, IL
URL:  www.aaintegrityhomeinspection.com

Re: Adding a Text Formatting Feature into HIP Comments 12 years 11 months ago #41649

I agree with Cameron about all the colors--As I said in my earlier post I'm not even sure whether or not I would have all of my Summary comments red, only maybe those that really needed to be taken care of right away.  The rest could be black as long as I could either emphasize some words in the comment with maybe an underline, or bold or something so that the client would know where my emphasis and thinking is in the comment.  I might like to say something like:  ...if not adequately maintained, significant damagecan result. This should be enough to get someone's attention without coloring the whole comment and maybe would make the whole report look better.

It's kind of the same issue I have with conventions.  Many of us describe the convention system we are going to use in the report at the beginning of the report.  Sometimes it's color, sometimes it's footnotes--anything we think will work.  However, I sometimes have clients who either didn't read the conventions at the front end of the report or forget the connections with the convention when they read the report, so the recommendations are often lost on them.  Their fault, obviously, because you worked hard to educate them as to the meaning, but if they don't get it, your good work is often in vain.  That's why I want every comment to be directly linked with the convention--If they read the comment at all (which many don't) I want my convention (repair/replace, monitor, etc.) right there in their face for every comment I make.  Sounds a little Draconian maybe, but how many calls do we get from customers thinking we missed something when it is clearly spelled out in the report if they would have simply taken the time to read it.  End of my rant (I feel better, thanks)

Re: Adding a Text Formatting Feature into HIP Comments 12 years 10 months ago #42144

Defiantly need links to be blue in the red comments.
Having that ability alone would make a difference.

My second thought is also hyperlinks following the same train of thought.

Re: Adding a Text Formatting Feature into HIP Comments 12 years 10 months ago #42155

That's a good idea, especially since the hyperlinks have a different function than plain text anyway.  Some inspectors may even just color their most important comments red and skip the "red" button altogether. That would eliminate any concern over the red button changing their preferred formatting and also allow them control over the placement of those comments in their report section.

Title: Home Inspection Peoria, IL
URL:  www.aaintegrityhomeinspection.com

Re: Adding a Text Formatting Feature into HIP Comments 12 years 9 months ago #43089

I agree that red should stay RED. But the idea of being able to formate copy in the Enter Comment Text box would be nice. Allowing for bold, italic and maybe basic colors that would carry on the black button.

Also allowing text editing in the selection panel to have color on the Code Terms; i.e. NOTE, FUNCTIONAL, FURTHER EVALUCTION, RECOMMENDED UPGRADE, SAFETY CONCERNS, and CORRECTIONS RECOMMENDED followed by the comment in normal black text for readability. This would allow for easy quick picking on a touch screen.

SAFETY CONCERNS: No luminarie cover(s) for Compact Fluorescent Light (CFL) bulb(s). Each CFL contains a small amount of mercury and requires special handling for breakage and proper disposal.

★ All-Star Home Inspections ★
www.All-StarInspections.com
Last Edit: by Ethan Young.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.169 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.