• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Working with Blocks: Adding content to the header and other locations

Working with Blocks: Adding content to the header and other locations 16 years 2 months ago #356

Blocks are a very powerful part of our website editor. They allow you to add content all over the website. Each theme has preset block locations where you can add content. The instructions below discuss how to add content to those blocks.

Animated tutorial has now been added and goes into a lot of details of the power of blocks. Also reviews creating links to email addresses.
www.homeinspectorpro.com/Home-Inspection...out-and-content.html

A step-by-step PDF tutorial with screenshots is attached to this posting. This allows you to have a visual reference of the steps as you create your Blocks.
  • Under your admin menu, click on Blocks. If you don't see the word blocks let me know. A few of the first sites did not have it added in yet
  • You will see a copy of your current theme with all the available regions that the blocks can be placed into like header/banner/left sidebar/right sidebar/user1/user2,etc and where they would appear. These are all locations that you can add content to within your site.
  • Click on Add Block at the top.
  • Give the block a name like 'My Site Header'.
  • Now in the editor below add in everything you're going to want to go into the block (in this example the header). You could add logo's, text, whatever you want to appear in the block.
  • Click Save Block.
  • On the page you get taken to scroll down, this is the list of all the current blocks. You will see one called 'My Site Header' which you just created.
  • Click the drop down box to the right of it and select the block location you want this block to appear (in this case, Header).
  • Scroll down and click Save Blocks.
  • That's it! You can use this to enter in content all over the site, including the side menus and anywhere else you see a block listed in the block view.
  • If you want to get fancy you can even control what pages the block appears on. The last option on the block page for example allows you to enter <front> to make a block only appear on the front page

If you have any questions about this tutorial or something to add, post it here! Eventually these will become animated tutorials just like we have for the Home Inspector Pro software.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Dominic Maricic
Home Inspector Pro Home Inspection Software - CEO
Last Edit: by Dominic Maricic.

Re: Working with Blocks: Adding content to the header and other locations 16 years 2 months ago #359

Hey Dom, I am not seeing the "blocks" Tab on my admin. menu. also it won't let me edit my primary links, when I click on "edit primary links" I get an "access denied" message.

Russell

Re: Working with Blocks: Adding content to the header and other locations 16 years 2 months ago #360

Hi Russell,

You should be able to see Blocks now. I had not added it to some of the first sites I set up.

Ignore the edit primary links button. You can change your links on the left from within each page under the menu settings option.

Dominic Maricic

Re: Working with Blocks: Adding content to the header and other locations 16 years 2 months ago #361

Thanks

Re: Working with Blocks: Adding content to the header and other locations 16 years 2 months ago #362

Sure thing. If you have any more questions, let me know!

Dominic Maricic

Re: Working with Blocks: Adding content to the header and other locations 16 years 2 months ago #363

Bob Elliot pointed out I was missing a step in the tutorial (about input format), I've updated the first post.

Dominic Maricic
Time to create page: 0.237 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.