• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: New Tutorial Formats

New Tutorial Formats 12 years 3 months ago #45675

Hi Guys,

We're in the process of creating new tutorials to help you guys better use the software and web sites. Before we make these available, we wanted to check with you, the target of these tutorials, and see which tutorials you prefer and find the most helpful.

There are three different tutorial types we create, each a bit different:

1. Animated Flash Tutorials - These show animated examples of how to do different processes in the software showing the steps in action. Examples of these can be found here: www.homeinspectorpro.com/software-tutorials/home-inspector-pro
2. Written Text Tutorials - These give step-by-step instructions on how to do processes, though without pictures, solely just text instructions. You can see these here: www.homeinspectorpro.com/index.php?optio...index.php&board=14.0
3. PDF Written Tutorials - These are self-contained written tutorials that are in PDF format. These are similar to the Written Text Tutorials, but also include screenshots of the steps you will be completing as each part.

Any input you guys as users could offer will hopefully help us better provide templates that you will find easier and more instructive. Our goal in the end is to still provide the tutorials in multiple formats, this is just a matter of which would be most effective for us to do first so you guys are able to use the software and the web sites more effectively.

Please go ahead and respond with your thoughts or votes.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: New Tutorial Formats 12 years 3 months ago #45678

Awesome !!!

Here's my answer for you...

You know all that fancy stuff all the nerd's talk about on this MB ??

Most of it is over the heads of "new users" and "cavemen" alike !!

We have no clue what you're friggin talkin about !!

Thank you, and have a pleasant tomorrow. :)

Jeffrey R. Jonas
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

FB: www.facebook.com/MN.Home.Inspector

www.JRJConsultants.net
www.OwatonnaHomeInspector.com
www.MinnesotaCommercialBuildingInspections.com

URL: www.owatonnahomeinspector.com
Title: Critical Eye Property Inspections
Description: Providing...

Re: New Tutorial Formats 12 years 3 months ago #45683

Dan, ?  (Comments for HIP software, not the Websites since I havent used it)

I think your Flash Tutorials are great for getting someone started...from novice to experienced computer users. It helps set HIP apart from the competition. Some people don't want to know much...they just want to "turn the key and go"....and you can do that with the video's. ? With some of your competition...you have to dig into the "manuals" just to get started. ? 

PDF files would be nice for the moderate/advanced features. ? 80% of these features people may never use...others will dig in. ? The more advanced user wont need(or want) a Flash Tutorial for these features...however, reading a well written step by step would do well. ? Keep the Videos to the basic usage...that way users wont be scared away. ? Advanced functions such as; How do I entering a pic into a document... ? or, if enter a 640 x 480 on the cover page how does my layout change if I instead enter a 480x800 vertical pic? Whats the max logo sizes, max width, max hidth, placement, what sifts in my layout, resolution etc.

Keep the getting started, everyday features reserved for Flash Videos. ? Thats 80% of what people will use. ? The additional 20% of the program capabilites can be put in writing.

Dan Musielski
Inspector/Engineer
Assured Home Inspections; Batavia, IL
www.InspectThatHouse.com

See us in the Fox News Channel! FOX NEWS Shattered Dreams
www.foxnews.com/us/2010/10/13/foreclosur...ickens-experts-fear/

Re: New Tutorial Formats 12 years 3 months ago #45685

Do you like how our animated flash tutorials utilize text popups to describe what's going on and pause every 30 seconds or so? Or would you rather have someone talking to you while watching what's going on?

Dominic Maricic
Home Inspector Pro Home Inspection Software - CEO

Re: New Tutorial Formats 12 years 3 months ago #45691

Dom,

I like the text pop-ups primarily for one reason... distractions. Believe it or not, I am usually doing a few things at once, and with the text boxes, I can immediately pick up where I left off without having to go back and re-listen to see if I missed something. Also, when I finally do get rid of the distractions, I like to listen to tunes while I work late into the night...

Jeffrey R. Jonas
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

FB: www.facebook.com/MN.Home.Inspector

www.JRJConsultants.net
www.OwatonnaHomeInspector.com
www.MinnesotaCommercialBuildingInspections.com

URL: www.owatonnahomeinspector.com
Title: Critical Eye Property Inspections
Description: Providing...

Re: New Tutorial Formats 12 years 3 months ago #45698

I do like the way they stop every 30 sec or so.  I usually have HIP open while watching a tutorial and following along. If you added someone talking, I would still leave the "ballons", that way volume can be turned down.

Dan Musielski
Inspector/Engineer
Assured Home Inspections; Batavia, IL
www.InspectThatHouse.com

See us in the Fox News Channel! FOX NEWS Shattered Dreams
www.foxnews.com/us/2010/10/13/foreclosur...ickens-experts-fear/
Time to create page: 0.210 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.