• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Google analytics

Re: Google analytics 15 years 8 months ago #1872

No problem. The only reason I didn't remove footer as a possibility in the drop down box for that theme is in case your switching themes around it helps with continuity.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Dominic Maricic
Home Inspector Pro Home Inspection Software - CEO

Re: Google analytics 15 years 8 months ago #1876

As to Google Analytics - I looked up the site to check on further information and there is a post as to "old" analytics code and "new."  The source code wording is quite different.  It suggests that we replace the old with the new.  So I did.

The "old" was working fine, and I was getting a lot of information.  I notice that much of my traffic views are from Home Inspector Pro members and that they are visiting one page and leaving - my bounce rate is 52%.  No problem there - just a note to say that I think the analytics is working!

However, my questions are these: 

First, when I saw the new source code, which looks like this:

<script type="text/javascript">
var gaJsHost = (("https:" == document.location.protocol) ? "https://ssl." : "http://www.");
document.write(unescape("%3Cscript src='" + gaJsHost + "google-analytics.com/ga.js' type='text/javascript'%3E%3C/script%3E"));
</script>
<script type="text/javascript">
var pageTracker = _gat._getTracker("UA-xxxxxx-x");
pageTracker._initData();
pageTracker._trackPageview();
</script>

I simply deleted the "old", much smaller, code and replaced it with this one above.  Is that okay to do?

Second question is this:  Google says to put the script above into the source code right before the <body> (their symbol usage) and I could not find that word any where in my source coding for any page.  Previously I simply added the code to the bottom of the source code and it worked fine.  I added this new one to the same spot, at the end, of every single page.  Is this okay?

Third question - there are pages on my site which I cannot edit the source code - Blog page, News page, Photo Gallery - while not terribly relevant that people look at those pages, it would be nice to follow them too.  Is this possible?

Three questions and some what to do.  Don't anybody mimic me until Dominic answers those questions - I don't want to screw anybody else up like I do myself...

If what I did is okay, you all might want to look at the new source code script and change yours to this new one. 

Jay Markanich Real Estate Inspections, LLC
Based in Bristow, serving all of Northern Virginia
www.jaymarinspect.com
Northern Virginia Home Inspector
Festina Lente - Make Haste Slowly

Re: Google analytics 15 years 8 months ago #1879

Both scripts work. I've updated my sites to the new script, I don't think they give much different data yet, but they will.

If you add the code to a block in your footer or a sidebar it will work on every page (thats why its best not to do it on each individual page).

Dominic Maricic

Re: Google analytics 15 years 8 months ago #1887

HI Dominic,
Mine is working now as well. Nobody really going to my site yet, but it is working. Thanks.

Re: Google analytics 15 years 8 months ago #1888

Okay, then how do I add it to the footer or side bar?

Jay Markanich Real Estate Inspections, LLC
Based in Bristow, serving all of Northern Virginia
www.jaymarinspect.com
Northern Virginia Home Inspector
Festina Lente - Make Haste Slowly

Re: Google analytics 15 years 8 months ago #1890

Create a block and add the code ot it and set it to be in the footer. look at the written tutorial on the nachi call button, it works the exact same way.

Dominic Maricic
Time to create page: 0.215 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.