• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Roofing question....

Roofing question.... 15 years 1 month ago #9213

I did an inspection on a new construction today. Everywhere I looked the underlayment was 3 to 4 inches back from the drip edge and rack edge flashing. I called 3 roofers, 2 told me it was fine, 1 said it needed to be fixed. I'm not a roofer but all I can see is bad things that could happen. Any comments?

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Bent Nail Inspections
Serving Boise, Meridian, Eagle, Nampa, Caldwell and surrounding areas
Boise home inspector, boise home inspections, Meridian home inspector, Idaho Home Inspection, Nampa Home Inspector
Boise home Inspections   
www.bestboisehomeinspection.com/ ...

Re: Roofing question.... 15 years 1 month ago #9214

I think you are correct. If your opinion is it is not a good install, then report it, your clients are paying for your opinion. Water will definitly work its way back up to the decking and cause problems.

Remember the roofers you called, when you need a new roof, DON'T CALL THEM!!

<b>Title:</b> Orland Park Home Inspector
www.OrlandParkHomeInspections.com
<b>Des:</b> Orland Park Home inspector performs home inspections in Orland Park, Tinley Park, New Lenox, Frankfort, & Palos Heights. 708-535-6057, 708-612-6679
<b>UPath:</b>...

Re: Roofing question.... 15 years 1 month ago #9215

• James Levy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • NJ#24GI00101400, FL # HI7765
  • Thank you received: 0
Davin, here is a link to a PDF from Elk roofing (GAF). I even used your state as a reference on Elk's site. Pay particular attention to page 2 with the installation details. You were right and two of the three roofers you called are stupid.

www.elkcorp.com/application_instructions/domainashford.pdf

www.homespectllc.com
Homespect LLC
Home and commercial Inspections in Medford, Mount Laurel, Cherry Hill, Voorhees, Marlton NJ, and the surrounding areas.

Re: Roofing question.... 15 years 1 month ago #9216

• Ian Niquette
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Just another goofy lookin guy with no hair!!
  • Thank you received: 0

Davin, here is a link to a PDF from Elk roofing (GAF). I even used your state as a reference on Elk's site. Pay particular attention to page 2 with the installation details. You were right and two of the three roofers you called are stupid.

www.elkcorp.com/application_instructions/domainashford.pdf

I have to agree with Drew and Mike here. You get snow there, or sideways(driving) rain? Water WILL get pushed up underneath there at some point and time, if there is no underlayment, it will hit the sheathing, and then run down underneath and behind the drip edge/flashing. Then what?  Rotted fascia board, posssible mold, maybe truss damage, endless possibilities. Homeowners gonna want an answer then, and guess who he will call first? You definitely need to bring this to their attention and DOCUMENT it in your report. Good advice guys.

Square One Home Inspection
Square One Home Inspection proudly serves Green Lake, Fond du Lac, Dodge, Marquette, Columbia, Winnebago, and Waushara Counties. Complete home inspections, thermal imaging and Radon testing available.
www.squareonehomeinspection.com
Keywords : Fond du Lac Home Inspection,...

Re: Roofing question.... 15 years 1 month ago #9221

Thanks everyone for the comments, appreciate the clarifications. It was put in the report, the clients were just looking for a degree of severity. It's not good when the so called experts give conflicting advice. Realtor is worried about client walking away if the builder won't fix it. You know that game..... but we don't work for the realtor!!!

Davin Strand

Bent Nail Inspections
Serving Boise, Meridian, Eagle, Nampa, Caldwell and surrounding areas
Boise home inspector, boise home inspections, Meridian home inspector, Idaho Home Inspection, Nampa Home Inspector
Boise home Inspections   
www.bestboisehomeinspection.com/ ...

Re: Roofing question.... 15 years 1 month ago #9229

I concur with Michael and Drew.  I really like Drew's link!  I concur with Ian's concurrence...  or something like that.  Water wicks upward if given a path.  That is why roof shingles should extend at least 1", but not more than 1.5" over the ledge they abut.  Too short and they wick water; too long and they bend and crack and leak water.  Looking at the sheathing under the shingle you lift up, it appears stained, perhaps wet.  Wicking water?

Before you discount the two roofer's opinions everyone has jumped on, be sure they understood what you meant.  Sometimes the mental image we try to paint with our words ends up as something other than we think is understood.  Extending shingles is a roofing theorem and not usually disobeyed by roofers.  It is disobeyed by an unprofessional, however - due to ignorance of technique.

Jay Markanich Real Estate Inspections, LLC
Based in Bristow, serving all of Northern Virginia
www.jaymarinspect.com
Northern Virginia Home Inspector
Festina Lente - Make Haste Slowly
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.