• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Stair Landing

Stair Landing 11 years 9 months ago #49094

Has anyone heard of a minimum number of stairs before a landing is required? I can only find there should be a landing if more than 12 feet in height. The rails are loose, and the steps are not supported correctly, but I wasn't sure if I should note the number of steps (16) with no landing. The height is 11 1/2 feet. ???

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Always tell the truth, do what you promise, and do it righter than right..always
Title: Inspection Connection
URL: www.charleston-home-inspector.com
Body: Performing Home Inspections in all of WV: Charleston, Huntington, Teays, Hurricane, and surrounding areas
Keywords: Charleston Home Inspector, St...

Re: Stair Landing 11 years 9 months ago #49095

The 12 foot mark is the "code".  311.7.5X  Maximum vertical between landings or floor levels.  That would be 18 risers.

There is nothing sweeter than the smell of fresh cut grass on a baseball infield, the click of a wooden bat and the taste of a hot dog at a warm sunny daytime double-header.

Re: Stair Landing 11 years 9 months ago #49118

There is no mention in your post Mike, if it's interior or exterior stairs.
Isn't a landing required at exterior stairs if door opens out with any amount of stairs?

Title: San Antonio Home Inspections
Site: www.jwkhomeinspections.com
Body: JWK Inspections, San Antonio Home Inspector, Performing Home Inspections in San Antonio & all surrounding areas.
Keywords: San Antonio Home Inspections, New Home Construction Inspections, New Braunfels, Schertz, Home...

Re: Stair Landing 11 years 9 months ago #49120

I thought that it may make a difference Joe. These stairs are outside, but I still couldn't find any landing requirement (I even looked at your Excellent stairs blog, Joe!). But I cited them as defective since they are not supported correctly, handrails are wobbly (the entire stair set is wobbly just from shifting weight side to side from top step), and the balusters are loose.
Attachments:

Always tell the truth, do what you promise, and do it righter than right..always
Body: Performing Home Inspections in all of WV: Charleston, Huntington, Teays, Hurricane, and surrounding areas

Re: Stair Landing 11 years 9 months ago #49121

Thanx for posting pic Mike, that sure is a helluva lot of steps. I was thinking landing outside of exterior door.
Also from pic view, there is not acceptable graspable handrail(s) at 34-38" at stairs.

Title: San Antonio Home Inspections
Site: www.jwkhomeinspections.com
Body: JWK Inspections, San Antonio Home Inspector, Performing Home Inspections in San Antonio & all surrounding areas.
Keywords: San Antonio Home Inspections, New Home Construction Inspections, New Braunfels, Schertz, Home...
Last Edit: by Joe Keresztury.

Re: Stair Landing 11 years 9 months ago #49124

wish i had a better pic. At the bottom of those steps is the platform for an above ground pool. There is a potential to fall from the top level and tumble down two flights before landing in the pool. You would bounce on about 37 steps before landing in the pool. OUCH! :o

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.178 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.