• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: That's One Strapping Bay Window!

Re: That's One Strapping Bay Window! 14 years 2 months ago #26870

Jay, sorry I messed up your theory.  :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Title: San Antonio Home Inspections
Site: www.jwkhomeinspections.com
Body: JWK Inspections, San Antonio Home Inspector, Performing Home Inspections in San Antonio & all surrounding areas.
Keywords: San Antonio Home Inspections, New Home Construction Inspections, New Braunfels, Schertz, Home...

Re: That's One Strapping Bay Window! 14 years 2 months ago #26871

It's just how things were working out!

Jay Markanich Real Estate Inspections, LLC
Based in Bristow, serving all of Northern Virginia
www.jaymarinspect.com
Northern Virginia Home Inspector
Festina Lente - Make Haste Slowly

Re: That's One Strapping Bay Window! 14 years 2 months ago #26873

Jay, how's the weather up there, we hit mid 70's today.  ;D. I'm originally from Pennsylvania, so I'm assuming your weather is fairly comparable to there.
On your straps theory I also think it wouldn't be a bad idea to recommend strapping the outside joints (outside of Sheathing, assuming it's 1/2 inch OSB) of the bay also at the angles. That way all those joints are strapped/fastened inside and out. Sandwich effect, resistance both sides. I will recommend here in future even though not required, can't hurt.
David, good luck on your maintanance article. Keep in mind that NACHI has a life expectancy chart for home components that could help you with information on your article. jk

Body: JWK Inspections, San Antonio Home Inspector, Performing Home Inspections in San Antonio & all surrounding areas.
Keywords: San Antonio Home Inspections, New Home Construction Inspections, New Braunfels, Schertz, Home...

Re: That's One Strapping Bay Window! 14 years 2 months ago #26874

Jay, I've installed windows for 7 years now; it's the bulk of Dad's business (or has been till everyone shut their wallets).  This wouldn't technically be called a "bay" window; it's really 3 separate units.  The bay windows we've installed are a single "unit" and have a cable system in the mulls that you have to pull/rachet vertically through the mulls to put tension and attach to the framing above the header, helping to minimize the sag you see so often with a heavy, otherwise unsupported widow.  
I can't say that I've seen the straps in Minnesota, but I keep having this nagging feeling that I have seen them used before.  Just not positive where or when or if I'm thinking something else.  We typically use screws to get the window set, then shingle nails to keep it held in place.  

Title: Root River Inspections
URL:  www.arochestermnhomeinspector.com
Body:  Root River Inspections serves Rochester, Winona, Red Wing, Austin, Albert Lea and surrounding Minnesota areas.
Meta Key:  Rochester home inspector, Winona home inspector, Red Wing home inspector, Albert...

Re: That's One Strapping Bay Window! 14 years 2 months ago #26875

Casey, That is definetely a bay window in Jay's pics. He's in a different state but we call it the same here. Even though it's not a continuos window attachment , it is still called a bay window. 3 windows projected out on the exterior wall with the 2 sides of the wall 45'd is a bay window. You must be referring to 3 windows actually attached with the 2 sides at a 45 degree. That  3 window attachment would cost alot more for obvious reasons and not cover the same area as 3 seperate windows. Here we also call a box window a box window because the frame is boxed out, but the window is single or double and flat with the exterior boxed out wall area not u shaped or boxed as the frame.

Re: That's One Strapping Bay Window! 14 years 2 months ago #26876

Joe, I'm sure you're right...it's not what we'd typically call a bay up here.  Yes, I am referring to the 3 (or 4, or 5) separate window units mulled together to make one large window.  Yes, they are VERY expensive!  And heavy!  :) 
Gotta love different naming tendancies!

Title: Root River Inspections
URL:  www.arochestermnhomeinspector.com
Body:  Root River Inspections serves Rochester, Winona, Red Wing, Austin, Albert Lea and surrounding Minnesota areas.
Meta Key:  Rochester home inspector, Winona home inspector, Red Wing home inspector, Albert...
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.