• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Ridge beam and collar ties.

Re: Ridge beam and collar ties. 14 years 9 months ago #15880

I reported it as needing further invertigation by a qualified professional.

The house is in a development, it is 5 years old with no trees near by. The foundation is a full floating slab, no visible cracks anywhere. The ceiling technically has collar ties and rafter ties since there were ceiling joists and collar ties. I noted the absence of the two missing collar ties since code calls and called for them every 48" on a rafter built roof when the house was built. My main concern was the gaps at the rafters on the ridge beam and the ridge beam size change.  My brother in law is working on his PE he takes the test this year, anyway the firm he works for employs an architectural engineer who looked at the situation, he said he wasn't worried about the ridge beam size change, and wasn't happy to see so many gaps at the ridge but gave it his stamp of approval, so that at least takes the heat off me.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

AJ - Anthony McCloskey - Hamburg, PA
A & V Home Inspections, LLC.
www.a-vhomeinspections.com
"Slow is smooth... Smooth is fast"

Re: Ridge beam and collar ties. 14 years 9 months ago #15881

I'm willing to bet the contractor ran out of correct materials or ordered the wrong sizes for a few things and decided it wasn't worth correcting and chewing into his profit margin by waiting for the proper corrections to be made.

AJ - Anthony McCloskey - Hamburg, PA
A & V Home Inspections, LLC.
www.a-vhomeinspections.com
"Slow is smooth... Smooth is fast"

Re: Ridge beam and collar ties. 14 years 9 months ago #16040

I kinda agree with tim but alot of that work looks shoddy. I would have referred it too

Safe At Home Inspections,Inc.
Home Inspections performed in Darien, Downers Grove, Bolingbrook, Woodridge, Naperville, Aurora, and surrounding areas in Illinois
www.safeathomeinspect.com
Time to create page: 0.171 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.