• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Pressure gauge testing of water pipes - Should you?

Re: Pressure gauge testing of water pipes - Should you? 14 years 11 months ago #12366

Ay yay, Cap'n...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Jay Markanich Real Estate Inspections, LLC
Based in Bristow, serving all of Northern Virginia
www.jaymarinspect.com
Northern Virginia Home Inspector
Festina Lente - Make Haste Slowly

Re: Pressure gauge testing of water pipes - Should you? 14 years 10 months ago #12512

Was the realtor talking about the water lines of the home? I usually preasure test the the home water lines at an outdoor faucet, but wouldn't do it to the boiler lines.

Bent Nail Inspections
Serving Boise, Meridian, Eagle, Nampa, Caldwell and surrounding areas
Boise home inspector, boise home inspections, Meridian home inspector, Idaho Home Inspection, Nampa Home Inspector
Boise home Inspections   
www.bestboisehomeinspection.com/ ...

Re: Pressure gauge testing of water pipes - Should you? 14 years 10 months ago #12516

The Realtor was actually telling me i should pressure test the buried water pipes for the radiant floor heat system in the home, after he told me the HVAC tech they called in the night before found a cracked heat exchanger and shut the system off. The same HVAC tech supposedly told them that EVERY home inspector does that test. Evidently the HVAC guy showed them which fitting to remove.

Illinois- Tribuzio Home Inspection Services

www.thishomeinspector.com   (708) 453 8447

Home Inspection in Chicago land area and surrounding suburbs
Serving Chicago, Elmwood Park, Oak Park, Harwood Heights, Norridge, River Grove, Park Ridge and surrounding areas.

Re: Pressure gauge testing of water pipes - Should you? 14 years 10 months ago #12523

Not me! Thats the HVAC guys job in my opinion, especially if he was there.

Bent Nail Inspections
Serving Boise, Meridian, Eagle, Nampa, Caldwell and surrounding areas
Boise home inspector, boise home inspections, Meridian home inspector, Idaho Home Inspection, Nampa Home Inspector
Boise home Inspections   
www.bestboisehomeinspection.com/ ...

Re: Pressure gauge testing of water pipes - Should you? 14 years 10 months ago #12548

I would be more than happy  to pressure test the lines... for a fee. That test is well above the scope of an HI.

Now, if you want to be more realistic, and offer a client more relevant information on a system that is used alot more frequently than lines buried in a way that one can not detect water leaks, I would suggest checking the pressure of the expansion tank. It is easy to do, all you need is a tire gauge. There is a shraeder valve on the tank.

When a tpr valve leaks, it is very often the expansion tank. (or the water pressure regulator) If the system only leaks when it heats up, its the expansion tank, or the tpr valva. If it leaks all the time, it's the water pressure regulator. You also have to look at the tridicator, if the pressure builds up beyond about 14lbs. it's the expansion tank, and the tpr is doing what it was hired to do.  If it stays below 14 pounds, its the tpr valve. Check what the tpr is rated for.

Comprehensive Home & Building Inspections
www.homeinspectionsnewyork.com
URL:Comprehensive-Home-Building-EIFS-Inspections

Certified EIFS Inspector
www.eifsinspectionsnewyork.com
URL:Comprehensive-EIFS-Home-Building-Inspections

Staten Island, Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, Bronx, Long Island
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.239 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.