• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Cobustion Air

Re: Cobustion Air 15 years 3 weeks ago #10344

Hey guys I've been seeing a trend around here on combustion air pipes for closets.

I have been noticing a lot of new homes having only one large combustion air pipe for closets instead of the two high low configuration I was taught.  I have asked a plumber friend of mine about this and he said he doesn't know of any code changes. 

Anyone here know more about this?  Are they just trying to cut corners here?

Hey John;

Make up or combustion air supply ventilation is required at upper and lower 12" of the gas fired appliance enclosure, closet and or room.  If you don't see a second vent pipe extension, look for another wall mounted rectangular vent behind the appliance.  Keep in mind, depending on age of the structure and type of appliance ventilation requirements may vary, for example; a single gas fired water heater could be supplied by a louvered door to the interior of the structure, an older furnace on a raised foundation may have a make up air vent to the sub area, etc....

I find a lot of exterior closet mounted water heaters in condo complexes.  Seems the enclosure doors deteriorate and get replaced, but the HOA forgets to install vented doors and have thus compromised the make up air for every water heater in the complex.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

URL : www.progressiveinspection.com
Title: Irvine Home Inspector
Description: Providing home inspections in California, including: Dana Point, Laguna Niguel, Mission Viejo, San Clemente, Irvine, Aliso Viejo, Temecula, Corona, Laguna Niguel, Rancho Santa Margarita, Laguna Woods
Keywords: Dana...
Last Edit: by Will Handley.

Re: Cobustion Air 15 years 3 weeks ago #10346

See I thought they were suppose to have two, one high and one low.  I still need to take the time to look this up in my book.  Been a little busy.

HLC Home Inspections LLC
www.OklahomaHomeInspector.biz
We are a licensed inspector for the state of Oklahoma.?  Our focus is Oklahoma City, Moore, Mustang, Yukon, Tuttle, and many other areas surrounding OKC.
HLC-Home-Inspections-Oklahoma-City

HLC Home Inspections LLC...

Re: Cobustion Air 15 years 3 weeks ago #10347

URL : www.progressiveinspection.com
Title: Irvine Home Inspector
Description: Providing home inspections in California, including: Dana Point, Laguna Niguel, Mission Viejo, San Clemente, Irvine, Aliso Viejo, Temecula, Corona, Laguna Niguel, Rancho Santa Margarita, Laguna Woods
Keywords: Dana...

Re: Cobustion Air 15 years 3 weeks ago #10414

What Marcel and Will said.  Great link Will!

In that first picture, it seems like insulation is coming through that large gap at the ceiling.  Does that go straight to the attic?    If it does, I would want that gap sealed for efficiency reasons.  If it does not, around here they would require more fire block.

Jay Markanich Real Estate Inspections, LLC
Based in Bristow, serving all of Northern Virginia
www.jaymarinspect.com
Northern Virginia Home Inspector
Festina Lente - Make Haste Slowly

Re: Cobustion Air 15 years 3 weeks ago #10418

Yeah they always go right to the attic.  That was actually a clean job from what I've seen!!!  lol

HLC Home Inspections LLC
www.OklahomaHomeInspector.biz
We are a licensed inspector for the state of Oklahoma.?  Our focus is Oklahoma City, Moore, Mustang, Yukon, Tuttle, and many other areas surrounding OKC.
HLC-Home-Inspections-Oklahoma-City

HLC Home Inspections LLC...
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.207 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.