• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Water heater lacks TPRV but has unusual plumbing configuration

Water heater lacks TPRV but has unusual plumbing configuration 10 years 8 months ago #54233

This California water heater has an unusual plumbing configuration in lieu of a TPRV valve. The water heater was installed by a large well known plumbing company so I don't believe it would be incorrect but I'd like to know what's going on here.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Water heater lacks TPRV but has unusual plumbing configuration 10 years 8 months ago #54234

It looks like that is a gas line connected to that valve. It is totally wrong and dangerous. I can't see the whole image, but i think they are using it as a way to get the gas to the other side of the water heater.

<b>Title:</b> Orland Park Home Inspector
www.OrlandParkHomeInspections.com
<b>Des:</b> Orland Park Home inspector performs home inspections in Orland Park, Tinley Park, New Lenox, Frankfort, & Palos Heights. 708-535-6057, 708-612-6679
<b>UPath:</b>...

Re: Water heater lacks TPRV but has unusual plumbing configuration 10 years 8 months ago #54235

It is a Watts 210 valve.  It appears to be installed properly.  It is designed to shut off the gas supply to the water heater before the temperature reaches 210 degrees.  When installed, there is usually a Pressure Relief Valve somewhere else on the system, not necessarily at the water heater.  I have seen them mostly near exterior faucets. 

There is nothing sweeter than the smell of fresh cut grass on a baseball infield, the click of a wooden bat and the taste of a hot dog at a warm sunny daytime double-header.

Re: Water heater lacks TPRV but has unusual plumbing configuration 10 years 8 months ago #54236

Thanks Stephen, I had a suspicion that was not merely goofy plumbing. I will use your explanation in my report with a caveat to have it evaluated.

Mike S.

Re: Water heater lacks TPRV but has unusual plumbing configuration 10 years 8 months ago #54238

I wouldn't say you need to have the Watts valve evaluated.  However, there is a need to confirm the Pressure Relief Valve location.  I would say that is on you since that is what you were hired to do.  Why should the seller or client have to pay for a plumber to come out for an unnecessary evaluation? 

Back to the property and chalk it up as a learning experience.  A humbling lesson that will make you a better inspector.  JMHO.

There is nothing sweeter than the smell of fresh cut grass on a baseball infield, the click of a wooden bat and the taste of a hot dog at a warm sunny daytime double-header.

Re: Water heater lacks TPRV but has unusual plumbing configuration 10 years 8 months ago #54244

This would never fly in Illinois because of the flexible gas, flexible water, corrosion, no dielectric couplers....as far as the Watts 210 valve, know your area...many places wont allow.  I'd be in trouble if I didn't recommend a plumber with this pic.

Dan Musielski
Inspector/Engineer
Assured Home Inspections; Batavia, IL
www.InspectThatHouse.com

See us in the Fox News Channel! FOX NEWS Shattered Dreams
www.foxnews.com/us/2010/10/13/foreclosur...ickens-experts-fear/
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.174 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.