• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Washing Machine in Basement

Washing Machine in Basement 11 years 1 month ago #52018

I am moving into an old house my mother in law owns, and want to put the washing machine in the basement. There was one there many years ago, but was moved to the upstairs kitchen for ease of access (the person living in it was 90 and couldn't traverse the steps). In fact, I stayed in the house for a month between flips about 15 yrs ago, but can't remember how it was plumbed downstairs.

The main sewer 3" discharge through the basement wall is 54" O.C from the floor. I would imagine there was a T there before, which is not correct. Seems like water would have backed up or sewer gas would have escaped into the washer. If I must have at least 18" vertical standpipe, then the washer would be dumping into a pipe opening 6 feet off the floor.

Does anyone know if a typical washer is capable of pumping 6 feet vertical?  ???

Since the wife would like to add a bath in the basement, I was looking into an ejector pit (there's one in my house now), but that would be quite expensive and a lot of work.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Always tell the truth, do what you promise, and do it righter than right..always
Title: Inspection Connection
URL: www.charleston-home-inspector.com
Body: Performing Home Inspections in all of WV: Charleston, Huntington, Teays, Hurricane, and surrounding areas
Keywords: Charleston Home Inspector, St...

Re: Washing Machine in Basement 11 years 1 month ago #52024

Sounds like your main sewer line is a couple of feet off the floor.. if that is the case you will have to put in a ejector pump. (sorry).  I had the same problem in a house i had in IL. ended up putting in a ejector pit and a sanitary grinder. Good luck.

Re: Washing Machine in Basement 10 years 2 months ago #56159

do you have a pic?

Tech 9 Home Inspections

Re: Washing Machine in Basement 10 years 2 months ago #56162

Jarrod, I did the work back in March 2013. I did not install an ejector pit, and everything is working fine so far.

I can post a pic of what I did if you would like to see it.

Always tell the truth, do what you promise, and do it righter than right..always
Title: Inspection Connection
URL: www.charleston-home-inspector.com
Body: Performing Home Inspections in all of WV: Charleston, Huntington, Teays, Hurricane, and surrounding areas
Keywords: Charleston Home Inspector, St...

Re: Washing Machine in Basement 10 years 2 months ago #56163

I figured you didn't need to since there was a machine down there before.

Tech 9 Home Inspections
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.169 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.