• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Are drip legs for gas lines required for older homes?

Are drip legs for gas lines required for older homes? 12 years 1 month ago #46836

Are drip legs for gas appliances (furnace, water heater, etc.) required by law? Are home owners/buyers required to intall them when selling or buying? Does this change state to state? I am in louisiana.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Are drip legs for gas lines required for older homes? 12 years 1 month ago #46844

• Bill Warner
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • There's a fine line between comedy and humor...
  • Thank you received: 1
it is considered best building practice... IRC and UPC indicate drip legs to be installed at low points and meter outlet "if water vapor is present"... it should be assumed that water vapor is present.

Recommend you purchase the code check series of manuals to assist you with these and other inspection related questions. They are a valuable resource that I refer to routinely.

Bill Warner
Dayton Infrared Thermal Inspection
DaytonThermalInspection.com
Infrared Thermal Imaging Inspections Serving Dayton, Cincinnati, and Greenville Ohio
For a Link Exchange please This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. your info

Re: Are drip legs for gas lines required for older homes? 12 years 1 month ago #46846

As Bill said...it's best practice...on a home old or new! Home's a 120 year old are still going to have a newer heat system. The drip leg catches debris and condensation.

Dan Musielski
Inspector/Engineer
Assured Home Inspections; Batavia, IL
www.InspectThatHouse.com

See us in the Fox News Channel! FOX NEWS Shattered Dreams
www.foxnews.com/us/2010/10/13/foreclosur...ickens-experts-fear/

Re: Are drip legs for gas lines required for older homes? 12 years 1 month ago #46851

That is well and good and for the most part I agree however, since a drip leg will catch debris as well as moisture condensation, what happens when their is enough moisture inside the drip and the temperature drops below freezing? Possbility of bursting a gas line?

Re: Are drip legs for gas lines required for older homes? 12 years 1 month ago #46856

• Bill Warner
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • There's a fine line between comedy and humor...
  • Thank you received: 1
They should never be located outside or in a freeze susceptible area for that reason... if they are, it is incorrect and should be remedied.

Bill Warner
Dayton Infrared Thermal Inspection
DaytonThermalInspection.com
Infrared Thermal Imaging Inspections Serving Dayton, Cincinnati, and Greenville Ohio
For a Link Exchange please This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. your info

Re: Are drip legs for gas lines required for older homes? 12 years 3 weeks ago #47100

Gary qoute "Are drip legs for gas appliances (furnace, water heater, etc.) required by law? Are home owners/buyers required to intall them when selling or buying? Does this change state to state? I am in louisiana."
Gary, I'm not a law inspector :D or code inspector, but drip leg (sediment traps) are required by manufactures for their products (water heater and furnaces)

Title: San Antonio Home Inspections
Site: www.jwkhomeinspections.com
Body: JWK Inspections, San Antonio Home Inspector, Performing Home Inspections in San Antonio & all surrounding areas.
Keywords: San Antonio Home Inspections, New Home Construction Inspections, New Braunfels, Schertz, Home...
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.198 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.