• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Can anyone tell me what this tank is for?

Can anyone tell me what this tank is for? 12 years 8 months ago #43397

I found this tank in a wall my client had opened up in this house that is about 75 years old. The house is in one of the older original neighborhoods in town. Has anyone else seen one of these and could you tell me what was used for? It has an inlet and outlet on the top, one with a valve that is opened and closed by pulling a chain attached to a horizontal bar on the valve. Looks to me like it was used for water. (See attached photo)
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

James A. wood Construction, Inc. Home Inspection Service
www.visalia-home-inspector.com

Re: Can anyone tell me what this tank is for? 12 years 8 months ago #43411

I'd say it's a gas tank for an electric welding machine.

Dominic Maricic
Home Inspector Pro Home Inspection Software - CEO
Last Edit: by Dominic Maricic.

Re: Can anyone tell me what this tank is for? 12 years 8 months ago #43412

Dominic Maricic
Home Inspector Pro Home Inspection Software - CEO

Re: Can anyone tell me what this tank is for? 12 years 8 months ago #43415

75 year old home.  Wait for a while.  Bob will be here shortly and let you know.  He is the only one that was around at that time....  ;D

There is nothing sweeter than the smell of fresh cut grass on a baseball infield, the click of a wooden bat and the taste of a hot dog at a warm sunny daytime double-header.

Re: Can anyone tell me what this tank is for? 12 years 8 months ago #43416

The tank is galvanized and has welded seam so it can't handle the high pressure of a gas welding cylinder. There is a water pipe near the base of the tank. It might be a reserve water storage tank or a pressure balancing tank. But not certain.

James A. wood Construction, Inc. Home Inspection Service
www.visalia-home-inspector.com

Re: Can anyone tell me what this tank is for? 12 years 8 months ago #43417

I see these and similar every now and then. Without being there in person for a 'hands on', this could be a hot water holding/or/pressure tank for a boiler system. Did/does the home have radiators? Typically nowadays you will see the newer tanks installed hanging from the floor joists above the boiler itself. Resembles an old vehicle gas tank. The tank style pictured was used approx. 70-100 years ago. Before that, they were these big monster cast iron units.   

Dom... I believe "Electra-Weld" is only in welding supply related businesses now, but they were heavily involved in the building of welded pressure tanks, or should I say 'vessels' in the old days. ;)

Yes, Bob probably see's a lot more of these than I do, being in the big city and all.

Jeffrey R. Jonas
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

FB: www.facebook.com/MN.Home.Inspector

www.JRJConsultants.net
www.OwatonnaHomeInspector.com
www.MinnesotaCommercialBuildingInspections.com

URL: www.owatonnahomeinspector.com
Title: Critical Eye Property Inspections
Description: Providing...
Time to create page: 0.198 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.