• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Pipe material for natural gas application

Pipe material for natural gas application 12 years 7 months ago #43182

Two questions:

Can galvanized pipe be used for natural gas to a water heater?

Can galvanized be attached to brass?

Mike

Please Log in to join the conversation.

The Orange County Home Inspector serves Orange County California as a property inspector and I travel to L.A. San Diego and Riverside as well. I travel anywhere in the world as a Construction Defects Expert Witness, I also do Reserve Studies for HOA's. Licensed Gen Contractor, ICC Certified Bldg...

Re: Pipe material for natural gas application 12 years 7 months ago #43188

Mike,

I can only address the first question because I had to study it over the last year a couple times.  From the standpoint of national standards, I was not able to track down a specific reference which would dis-allow galvanized pipe on natural gas.

But the local utility companies were different, I found many specific utility company standards and I even was able to locate the requirements of my local gas utility and they all stated that galvanized pipe was not allowed per their standards.  The reason was the same as the use of copper, the concern over corrosion and the potential for deterioration inside the pipe which would lead to a blocked valve on gas burning equipment.  I write it up as follows:

Galvanized water pipes are being used for gas lines at the <<LOCATION>>. Many municipalities and utility companies no longer allow the use of galvanized piping due to its potential for corrosion.
      UPGRADE: Recommend replacing all galvanized piping with a modern type of gas supply line to prevent potential damage to equipment.

I'll let someone else tackle the Brass/Galv. question.

Title: Home Inspection Peoria, IL
URL:  www.aaintegrityhomeinspection.com

Re: Pipe material for natural gas application 12 years 7 months ago #43201

Mike, I believe that brass/galvanized need a dielectric connection or connecting may cause a reaction between the two.  There's also the water element of conductivity too. 

Did you see if there was some kind of plastic liner present at the connection?

Title: Root River Inspections
URL:  www.arochestermnhomeinspector.com
Body:  Root River Inspections serves Rochester, Winona, Red Wing, Austin, Albert Lea and surrounding Minnesota areas.
Meta Key:  Rochester home inspector, Winona home inspector, Red Wing home inspector, Albert...

Re: Pipe material for natural gas application 12 years 7 months ago #43207

Regarding the galvanized to brass connection.  Is this for gas or for water?  Brass is commonly used transition between copper and galvanized steel.  Many AHJ will allow a 6 inch transition nipple which actually holds up better than a dielectric union.

There is nothing sweeter than the smell of fresh cut grass on a baseball infield, the click of a wooden bat and the taste of a hot dog at a warm sunny daytime double-header.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.177 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.