• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Sediment trap location w/ gas flex line

Re: Sediment trap location w/ gas flex line 12 years 8 months ago #42606

Jeff, no it wouldn't make me lose sleep, but let's fight about it buddy. LOL
;D :o 8) :P ::)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Title: San Antonio Home Inspections
Site: www.jwkhomeinspections.com
Body: JWK Inspections, San Antonio Home Inspector, Performing Home Inspections in San Antonio & all surrounding areas.
Keywords: San Antonio Home Inspections, New Home Construction Inspections, New Braunfels, Schertz, Home...
Last Edit: by Joe Keresztury.

Re: Sediment trap location w/ gas flex line 12 years 8 months ago #42619

I guess I am missing the boat on communication?

I got the impression that you did not agree with the AHJ about the location of the sediment leg and were looking for ammo to go back and stand your ground against the AHJ. ? Apparently I was wrong. ? 

When I inspect a house I look for things that are techncially wrong. ? Sometimes, items are technically wrong but over the next 10 years that an owner is likely to live in the home, there will be little or no impact to the house. ? I usually explain the technical reason it is wrong to my client and put it in the report but also help the client to understand that it should probably be a low priority when negoiating repairs with the seller. ? 

I saw this as potentially technically wrong but not worth worrying about. ? Sorry if my comments were not expressed well.

Bruce Ramsey, ACI
Last Edit: by Bruce Ramsey.

Re: Sediment trap location w/ gas flex line 12 years 8 months ago #42621

• Bert de Haan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • If it is worth doing, it's worth doing well.
  • Thank you received: 0
Bruce; you wrote: "Nobody ever empties the trap/leg anyway..."
I don't think there will ever be a need to empy the trap.  I think the amount of sediment will be so small that the length of the trap will do for the life of the appliance. 

Bert de Haan
www.KitchenerWaterlooHomeInspector.ca
Benchmark Home Inspection Services Kitchener-Wateroo and Guelph area Home Inspection
Serving Kitchener-Waterloo, Guelph, Orangeville, Mount Forest and surrounding areas.
Keywords: Kitchener-Waterloo home inspector, Guelph home inspection,...

Re: Sediment trap location w/ gas flex line 12 years 8 months ago #42628

Good point Bert. Agreed.

Body: JWK Inspections, San Antonio Home Inspector, Performing Home Inspections in San Antonio & all surrounding areas.
Keywords: San Antonio Home Inspections, New Home Construction Inspections, New Braunfels, Schertz, Home...

Re: Sediment trap location w/ gas flex line 12 years 8 months ago #42638

Hey Bruce, No, this didn't have to do w/ the AHJ, this was a new home pre move in inspection and the discussion was with the builders superintendent, as noted in original comment. When I went back for the re-inspection they had added missing drip legs to the lines at 2 furnaces I had called out but hadn't moved the leg from the close side of the flex on the water heater I called out as seen in pic. So my discussion w/ the superintendent partially convinced me that it should be on the inside of the flex, since that's what his plumber and HVAC guys told him. But I felt that as long as there was a drip leg, that was good enough. So I didn't report it at my reinspect and figured I wouldn't call it out anymore if the drip leg was after the flex in lieu of before. Even though I always felt it should be before and in most cases was. It is pretty insignificant as it is close to gas valve at either location. My concern for the client is that manufacturers may void their warranty if not per their requirements. As far as (LOL) the AHJ goes, I really don't care what they say. The city San Antonio changes inspectors more often than some of us (Jeff) ;D change underwear. Just kidding Jeffrey. We all know the city inspectors spend 5-10 minutes at a final building inspection and we spend hours. On a previous pre move in new home inspection I had reported that there was no drip leg at all- as required. The builder rep indicated in a email response for the report to the buyer and myself that the city (AHJ) didn't require/ enforce it, so they don't install drip legs. I responded in a email that the city inspector may not require it, but there is a good chance that the manufacturer does and not installing it may void my clients manufacturers warranty. No other response came, but sure enough at the re-inspection there was a drip leg installed. :D 
Bert and Bruce hope things are going well

Re: Sediment trap location w/ gas flex line 12 years 8 months ago #42639

? ::)

(warning: language)  ;D

Jeffrey R. Jonas
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

FB: www.facebook.com/MN.Home.Inspector

www.JRJConsultants.net
www.OwatonnaHomeInspector.com
www.MinnesotaCommercialBuildingInspections.com

URL: www.owatonnahomeinspector.com
Title: Critical Eye Property Inspections
Description: Providing...
Last Edit: by Jeffrey Jonas.
Time to create page: 0.194 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.