• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Water heater without pressure relief valve.

Water heater without pressure relief valve. 13 years 7 months ago #35626

• Bert de Haan
  • Bert de Haan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • If it is worth doing, it's worth doing well.
  • Thank you received: 0
Did an inspection today where I couldn't find a relief valve on the electric water. The water heater was from 1997. I couldn't even find a place where it should have been.  There is a temperature limiting device behind one of the access doors. Possibly a pressure relief valve could be installed somewhere down the line I guess but I didn't see one.  I looked up a schematic of the model.  It did have a TPR. It was different in other ways as well so that may not be that reliable.  I am planning to call the manufacturer (GSW) but first wanted to ask you guys.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Bert de Haan
www.KitchenerWaterlooHomeInspector.ca
Benchmark Home Inspection Services Kitchener-Wateroo and Guelph area Home Inspection
Serving Kitchener-Waterloo, Guelph, Orangeville, Mount Forest and surrounding areas.
Keywords: Kitchener-Waterloo home inspector, Guelph home inspection,...
Last Edit: by Bert de Haan.

Re: Water heater without pressure relief valve. 13 years 7 months ago #35627

• Bert de Haan
  • Bert de Haan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • If it is worth doing, it's worth doing well.
Thinking about it a bit more, with a temperature limiting device behind the access panel, there wouldn't necessarily be the regular location for a pressure relief.  It could be in the line as long as it is between the tank and a shutoff valve.  It wasn't there.  Plumber messed up. 

Bert de Haan
www.KitchenerWaterlooHomeInspector.ca
Benchmark Home Inspection Services Kitchener-Wateroo and Guelph area Home Inspection
Serving Kitchener-Waterloo, Guelph, Orangeville, Mount Forest and surrounding areas.
Keywords: Kitchener-Waterloo home inspector, Guelph home inspection,...

Re: Water heater without pressure relief valve. 13 years 2 months ago #38578

• Dana Bostick
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Against the grain is a way of life.

Thinking about it a bit more, with a temperature limiting device behind the access panel, there wouldn't necessarily be the regular location for a pressure relief.  It could be in the line as long as it is between the tank and a shutoff valve.  It wasn't there.  Plumber messed up. 

Many heaters come with them pre-installed. They are very expensive, maybe $10 so he was saving money or stole it to put on his own heater. ;-(

True Professionals, Inc. Home inspections and Property Consultation, Litigation Support, HOA Maintenance Consulting
www.HomeInspection-LosAngeles.com
Certified Infrared Thermographer www.MagicLeakFinders.com
www.Thermal-Diagnostics.com
All services provided in the Southern...

Re: Water heater without pressure relief valve. 13 years 1 month ago #39365

All water heaters are required to have a TPR valve installed. The location of the TPR should be within 6 inches from the top of the water heater in order to have the probe in the hottest environment to sense the temperature and operate at 210 degrees F. This is here to protect the water heater from over pressurizing and to protect the occupants from having steam coming out of the faucets. Remote water temperature regulators can fail so you need the TPR there for protection.

Tristar Consultants
URL: www.tristarconsultants.net
Tristar Consultants Home Inspection, providing home inspection services for home buyers, sellers and investors, in Buffalo, Erie County, Niagara County and all of Western New York. Buffalo Home Inspector. Swimming Pool and Spa Inspection, Certified...

Re: Water heater without pressure relief valve. 12 years 3 months ago #45751

Most water heaters are not "planted" in bathrooms.  There are most commonly installed in attics, crawlspaces, garages, basements, and utility closets in the US of A.  Most electric water heaters are not "plugged" in but are rather hardwired to a dedicated circuit.  If a water heater explodes, it will damage the house but not likley to damage the "entire house electricity".  I recommend you check your facts before posting again.

Bruce Ramsey, ACI

Re: Water heater without pressure relief valve. 12 years 3 months ago #45752

• Dana Bostick
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Against the grain is a way of life.
This is obviously not an English as the primary language poster or a machine translation.
Not sure what this is about. Obviously confused and non-valid information.
Maybe they "grow" their water heaters where she's from and so have to plant them where needed?
I suppose if the W/H did blow up, it would damage the electrical system as well as the house no doubt.

Very "organic" I'd say. ;-)

True Professionals, Inc. Home inspections and Property Consultation, Litigation Support, HOA Maintenance Consulting
www.HomeInspection-LosAngeles.com
Certified Infrared Thermographer www.MagicLeakFinders.com
www.Thermal-Diagnostics.com
All services provided in the Southern...
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.193 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.