• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: TPR valves

Re: TPR valves 13 years 8 months ago #34764

Joe,  there are lots and lots of inside water heaters here.  In fact my inspection today had the water heater in the kitchen.   We have water heaters in laundry rooms, utility rooms, interior closets, pantries, and kitchens.  Just like many other features, I am sure there are regional differences.  My two homes in SoCal also have their water heaters inside interior closets in the middle of the home.

I don't have a problem with a basement or garage water heater terminating near the floor since they are mostly concrete, but on occasion, there are finished floors or carpeting that could get damaged..  While I don't normally recommend an interior termination, there are cases where that is a better choice than an inaccessible location or one that cannot be viewed.  My water heater is 20 years, 5 months old.  The TPR has never gone off.  And I am not going to drill a hole in the tile floor and then through the brick veneer and then under 20 feet of decking so it is visible, to accommodate a drain line that is rarely, if ever used.

You make your recommendations, I will make mine.

You ask, "Why would anyone anywhere have WH's inside living area?"  I too, will end with a question.  What would anyone choose to live in Texas?  ::)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

There is nothing sweeter than the smell of fresh cut grass on a baseball infield, the click of a wooden bat and the taste of a hot dog at a warm sunny daytime double-header.
Last Edit: by Stephen Stanczyk.

Re: TPR valves 13 years 8 months ago #34766

I've seen quite a few water heaters inside houses here in California too. A lot of newer multi-level condo's put them inside the kitchen, living room, hallway, etc. Most of them terminated inside, though obviously not the best choice, it happens!

Dominic Maricic
Home Inspector Pro Home Inspection Software - CEO

Re: TPR valves 13 years 8 months ago #34771

You ask, "Why would anyone anywhere have WH's inside living area?"  I too, will end with a question.  What would anyone choose to live in Texas?   ::)

Good one Steve!

Actually, I've seen quite a few in the utility room. Which of course technically is in the house. I hate seeing them in the attic. Best place to me is in the garage which just seems to make it more conveniet in alot of ways. Wherever it's at , tpr drain line really should terminate to the outside :)  Just my opinion Steve.

You ask, Why would anyone want to live in TX?  Must be the mexican food !   ;D

Dominic, your examples that you are talking about, they pass local req. inspections w/o proper termination?

Title: San Antonio Home Inspections
Site: www.jwkhomeinspections.com
Body: JWK Inspections, San Antonio Home Inspector, Performing Home Inspections in San Antonio & all surrounding areas.
Keywords: San Antonio Home Inspections, New Home Construction Inspections, New Braunfels, Schertz, Home...
Last Edit: by Joe Keresztury.

Re: TPR valves 13 years 8 months ago #34777

Watts 210 valves AND an exterior installed pressure relief valve are acceptable alternatives (check your area AHJ) to a TPR valves that would have their discharge lines terminate on the interior of a home.

Interior land-locked WH's are really difficult to have a properly terminated discharge line. As I've witnessed a lot of water damage from a leaking TPR valve, I'll recommend an installation of a 210, but would check in your own area.

Just a thought

Home Inspector and Contractor Palmdale and Lancaster CA

www.antelespec.com

Home Inspections in Antelope Valley, Palmdale and Lancaster CA, Santa Clarita
www.homeinspectortim.com

Home Inspector Lancaster Palmdale CA
www.specriteinspections.com/

Re: TPR valves 13 years 8 months ago #34845

This is an interesting topic. On an inspection yesterday the TPRV extension, in copper, extended to within two inches of the floor and a had a male adapter soldered to the end with a PVC elbow and piping extending across the floor to a sump pit where it elbowed down thru the pit lid. The pit lid was caulked to the concrete floor/sump perimeter with silicone caulk (another issue, what happens when the pump dies?). I recommended in my Report that the PVC piping be removed. 1. wrong type of piping used in a portion of the extension. 2. although the sump is an indirect waste receptor I have no idea if there is an air gap at the end of the PVC because I did not peel the lid up. 3. The end of the extension is not visible to the occupants (Thanks
to Bruce for the Code excerpt). I see so many incorrect installations that I enjoy inspecting one that is done correctly. If people had any idea what a bomb water heaters can be they might do it right.

John M. Hetz
IN Home Inspection, Inc.
www.inhomeinspections.com
Certified Professional Home Inspections, Radon Testing, Wood Destroying Insect Inspections and Water Quality Sampling and Analysis for Plymouth, South Bend, Mishawaka, Rochester, Logansport, Culver and Goshen, Indiana  and all of...

Re: TPR valves 13 years 8 months ago #34863

Here is a nice illustration on TPR valves.

Attachments:

Home Safe Home Inspections
Link Url: Cleveland Home Inspector - www.hshinspections.net/
Body:Performing Home Inspections in Cleveland, Parma, Brecksville, Broadview Heights, North Royalton, Strongsville and surrounding areas.
Keywords:Parma,Broadview...
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.