• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Water Heater TPR piping

Water Heater TPR piping 15 years 11 months ago #1212

Other than installing a sump pit with an automatic pump does anyone have any ideas where an older home does not have a floor drain to pipe the TPR to?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Denver’s Best Home Inspection
www.denversbesthomeinspector.com
Body:Performing Home Inspections in Denver,  Parker, Castle Rock and the Entire Denver and Surrounding Area. 303-888-4599
key:  denver home inspection
URL pth: denver's-best-home-inspection.html
Denver Infrared...

Re: Water Heater TPR piping 15 years 11 months ago #1217

Dave - I see older homes all the time, many very historic, like early 1800's.  Often there is no floor drain.  Since the TPR seldom discharges, or when it does there is such little water, I have seen everything from brownie pans to hoses into buckets.  Neither really bothers me, so long as the buyer understands what is going on.  New codes around here are different - there must be a discharge location - but they don't grandfather.  What is your issue?  Is someone asking a question or trying to fix a problem?

Jay Markanich Real Estate Inspections, LLC
Based in Bristow, serving all of Northern Virginia
www.jaymarinspect.com
Northern Virginia Home Inspector
Festina Lente - Make Haste Slowly

Re: Water Heater TPR piping 15 years 11 months ago #1218

Recently, it came up on a 1800's home. I had to point it out, and when asked why I had to explain the possibility if the TPR valve opened and did not close, of course the basement could flood. A sump would be very expensive, piping up-hill is not a good idea..............was hoping someone had an easy out to calm them down.

Body:Performing Home Inspections in Denver,  Parker, Castle Rock and the Entire Denver and Surrounding Area. 303-888-4599
Denver Infrared...

Re: Water Heater TPR piping 15 years 11 months ago #1219

so out the wall is not possible , I take it?

Re: Water Heater TPR piping 15 years 11 months ago #1220

Bob's idea is good, but you'd have to see the house to make suggestions.  I think maybe you put an image into their heads.  Sometimes I see something like that and mention it to the buyers with the caveat something like, "it doesn't look like anything like this has ever happened, and it is very unlikely that it would, but the worst case is..."  You know what I mean.  The image is there, but not prominent.  There are those little pumps put beside some basement AC units to pump out condensate - the ones I see are blue. They are small, connected to a 1/2" plastic tube, and can pump an indefinite distance.  That's probably the best solution, but I haven't seen the house.  I tell people to put a quarter cup of Clorox in them each year because they get goopy.  Now you need an electric source...

Jay Markanich Real Estate Inspections, LLC
Based in Bristow, serving all of Northern Virginia
www.jaymarinspect.com
Northern Virginia Home Inspector
Festina Lente - Make Haste Slowly

Re: Water Heater TPR piping 15 years 11 months ago #1221

Yes, out the wall is possible but obviously would be uphill for the piping, (7'-8' basement wall) but that would still be better than flooded basement. I did not dwell on it, only mentioned why we point it out. While not very often, I have seen TPR valves open partially and not close completely. Yes I'm aware of the small condensate pumps, in fact theres one on the furnace right next to the HWH.   

Denver Infrared...
Time to create page: 0.196 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.