• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: JAY R SMITH MANUAL INLINE SHUT OFF VALVE PICTURES- Deferred maintenance

Re: JAY R SMITH MANUAL INLINE SHUT OFF VALVE PICTURES- Deferred maintenance 14 years 7 months ago #20874

Was this a home inspection? Is that a bit beyond the SOP, I am not faulting you, but what if it broke?

GAWD NO, this is my own home's flood control.
I would never do more than open the pit lid by the handle-

and note the top of a manual/ or automatic valve -

from there, i would either write: ask present owner if regular maintenance or repairs had been performed.

Or i would point out the maintenance needs and suggest a qualified sewer contractor do an evaluation coupled with a camera and rodding of the waste line to street.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Illinois- Tribuzio Home Inspection Services

www.thishomeinspector.com   (708) 453 8447

Home Inspection in Chicago land area and surrounding suburbs
Serving Chicago, Elmwood Park, Oak Park, Harwood Heights, Norridge, River Grove, Park Ridge and surrounding areas.

Re: JAY R SMITH MANUAL INLINE SHUT OFF VALVE PICTURES- Deferred maintenance 14 years 7 months ago #20876

Here is the pit they put it in towards front of my basement.

Not easy to get to,--- not rushing to break up concrete and replace- which is what every plumber wants to do instead of repairing it-

Most are afraid to damage the brass parts.  I however was considering it beyond its serviceable lifetime, but now it seems the sewer gods may be smiling upon me....

there is a possibility it can be reworked a bit, like an old harley..lol
Attachments:

Serving Chicago, Elmwood Park, Oak Park, Harwood Heights, Norridge, River Grove, Park Ridge and surrounding areas.

Re: JAY R SMITH MANUAL INLINE SHUT OFF VALVE PICTURES- Deferred maintenance 14 years 7 months ago #20879

That's an easy fix--duct tape!!! ;D ::)

<b>Title:</b> Orland Park Home Inspector
www.OrlandParkHomeInspections.com
<b>Des:</b> Orland Park Home inspector performs home inspections in Orland Park, Tinley Park, New Lenox, Frankfort, & Palos Heights. 708-535-6057, 708-612-6679
<b>UPath:</b>...

Re: JAY R SMITH MANUAL INLINE SHUT OFF VALVE PICTURES- Deferred maintenance 14 years 7 months ago #20888

Great pictures :) How old is that?

Dominic Maricic
Home Inspector Pro Home Inspection Software - CEO

Re: JAY R SMITH MANUAL INLINE SHUT OFF VALVE PICTURES- Deferred maintenance 14 years 7 months ago #20937

It had to have been put in before 69, might have been earlier in late 50's.

They are supposed to be opened and closed once or twice a year- i dont think anyone did this for a loong time, before i inherited the problem...  By then the gasket was worn away the bolts rusted or removed at some point.  I had a hard time finding info on this thing.

Last Edit: by Joe Tribuzio.

Re: JAY R SMITH MANUAL INLINE SHUT OFF VALVE PICTURES- Deferred maintenance 14 years 7 months ago #21004

Cool :D

Dominic Maricic
Home Inspector Pro Home Inspection Software - CEO
Time to create page: 0.221 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.