• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Garage door safety features.

Garage door safety features. 14 years 9 months ago #15082

As of today I am no longer testing the garage door opener by force safety feature.

I have done about 1400 inspections in my 7 year career.

A few years ago an opener started smoking as a capacitor blew when I tested the reverse by force.

Today the header spring broke when testing the reverse by force.

2 years ago I paid to have the capacitor replaced. About $50.

Today I paid about $150 to repair the header spring.

Now both agents, me the garage door people all know it was not my fault and this is the proper way to test the reverse by force. Slight pressure under the door as it is closing.

I felt that the damage occurred due to my testing.

Even though I do not want to cough up the money and was only doing my job, both agents are impressed by my professionalism to take responsibility, call a garage door company, who had it fixed about 2 hours after it broke.

The seller whom I inspected this house 3 years ago and who is getting married in 5 days as her dress was in the closet (She had a sign please do not open attic access as she remembered 3 years ago all the insulation that fell out) would have to make arrangements to have the door fixed and would think that I broke it.

So I turn a negative into a positive by taking action.

Listing agent is a top producer in a top agency in a nearby residence. She is going to tell all at her office how I handled to situation and I would expect to gain referrals in the future.

So I am out a few dollars now but should benefit in the long run.

My question to you is how would of you handled it??

I am now disclaiming safety reverse by forces in all future reports.

Lets see my verbiage:  Not Inspected: Safety reverse by force not tested due to the potential of damage to occur to header springs, door and opener. Verify proper operation before closing.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Home Safe Home Inspections
Link Url: Cleveland Home Inspector - www.hshinspections.net/
Body:Performing Home Inspections in Cleveland, Parma, Brecksville, Broadview Heights, North Royalton, Strongsville and surrounding areas.
Keywords:Parma,Broadview...

Re: Garage door safety features. 14 years 9 months ago #15084

Hmm, sounds like an extreme positive to me. Why are you going to stop testing them if you expect to gain referrals ?!?!?!!

Nice job by the way on just fixing it rather than bothering to argue. Two times in 1400 inspections just doesn't seem bad to me.

Dominic Maricic
Home Inspector Pro Home Inspection Software - CEO

Re: Garage door safety features. 14 years 9 months ago #15085

Hmm, sounds like an extreme positive to me. Why are you going to stop testing them if you expect to gain referrals ?!?!?!!

Nice job by the way on just fixing it rather than bothering to argue. Two times in 1400 inspections just doesn't seem bad to me.

When I think about it, a lot can go wrong testing. I consider myself luckily that I have had only 2 incidents. I will explain to my clients. Maybe make them sign a waiver. Kind of like turning on a main water meter.

It is like GFCI's not tripping. I ended up paying $30 for a fix and have had 3 or 4 issues on tripping refrigerators. My only BBB complaint was on a GFCI failing to reset and the seller stated I broke it and it worked before I got there.  ???

Body:Performing Home Inspections in Cleveland, Parma, Brecksville, Broadview Heights, North Royalton, Strongsville and surrounding areas.
Last Edit: by David Macy.

Re: Garage door safety features. 14 years 9 months ago #15090

I don't think I'd consider a .001% chance of the reverse failing being just luck.

Did you refute the BBB complaint by the way?

Dominic Maricic

Re: Garage door safety features. 14 years 9 months ago #15093

I don't think I'd consider a .001% chance of the reverse failing being just luck.

Did you refute the BBB complaint by the way?

Yes, but it still went on my record.

Re: Garage door safety features. 14 years 9 months ago #15097

Yeah that's no good. Pretty ridiculous claim.

Dominic Maricic
Time to create page: 0.244 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.