• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Summary problems

Summary problems 7 years 8 months ago #63085

I've resisted using a Summary because I think realtors won't actually read the report, but many realtors insist and HIP makes it so easy to include a summary I figured why not?
I basically have 3 categories for defects which are color coded.
Blue is either a maintenance item (which does not go into the summary) or a general defect that may not be costly right now, but needs to get repaired before it becomes costly (like a plumbing leak or HVAC servicing. (these show up in the summary)
Red is for defects that need immediate repair, and may cost some bigger $$ to fix (roof replacement, window replacement etc) and also items that are safety issues.

Had a client call yesterday asking if one "blue" defect noted could be put in red, because the realtor said "we can only ask for the red items to be fixed".

My immediate reply was "your agent is an idiot".  It wasn't very professional, but then I explained that her realtor HAD NOT read the entire report, nor the explanation of "how to read this report" or "how to read the summary section".

Anyway, I don't know how to stop realtors from giving their client this bad advice in the future.  I can't MAKE them read the report. But I'd like to.

Anyone run into this also?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by Kevin McMahon.

Re: Summary problems 7 years 8 months ago #63088

They could have read your report and still said that. Unfortunately you can't fix wrong things that people say. You can just continue doing a great job and hope that most people understand how to do their own jobs!

Dominic Maricic
Home Inspector Pro Home Inspection Software - CEO

Re: Summary problems 7 years 8 months ago #63091

True.

Re: Summary problems 7 years 8 months ago #63098

Inform your client about all issues in the same manner and let them decide what is important and what is not.

A defect is a defect is a defect.  Unless you are required / forbidden by state law to include / not include an item in the summary, if it is an issue, it goes in the summary.  You can use the different colors to differentiate but include it in the summary anyway. 

JMHO.

There is nothing sweeter than the smell of fresh cut grass on a baseball infield, the click of a wooden bat and the taste of a hot dog at a warm sunny daytime double-header.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.174 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.