• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Black plastic gas pipe

Black plastic gas pipe 9 years 8 months ago #58411

Has anyone heard of black plastic being used for gas lines. I did an inspection the other day in Maryland and the gas pipe at the exterior was a black plastic, which I have never seen this application before. The pipe is above grade for about two feet before it goes below grade and enters the house. I heard that it was once an acceptable practice to use a black plastic "sheathing" over a copper pipe to prevent corrosion of the copper gas pipe.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Black plastic gas pipe 9 years 8 months ago #58421

Must be region specific.  They have only used black plastic for years around my area.  In fact I would have to strain to remember seeing anything other than black plastic from the street to the meter over the last 30+ years.  Of course all of them have the tracer wire attached for locating.

There is nothing sweeter than the smell of fresh cut grass on a baseball infield, the click of a wooden bat and the taste of a hot dog at a warm sunny daytime double-header.

Re: Black plastic gas pipe 9 years 8 months ago #58423

I ditto Stephens post, but I have to wonder... Is the OP referring to "from the street to the meter" OR "from the meter into the home"? He doesn't specify, but does mention "two feet before going below grade and entering the home"? Is the meter (still) in the home? Many areas have outlawed this, and if the meter is located in the home, it should be investigated and reported upon if needing to be relocated.

Jeffrey R. Jonas
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

FB: www.facebook.com/MN.Home.Inspector

www.JRJConsultants.net
www.OwatonnaHomeInspector.com
www.MinnesotaCommercialBuildingInspections.com

URL: www.owatonnahomeinspector.com
Title: Critical Eye Property Inspections
Description: Providing...
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.