• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: condo Inspection

Re: condo Inspection 10 years 3 months ago #56254

Sorry you took it so personally and perhaps simply stating you will see safety or common area issues
and report them as a addendum would be of more help.

My advice was not meant to berate you ,but more to help all understand the Condo Inspection process.

Yours is not the first time guys have said they thought between the walls was only needed.
Some Agents try to convince Inspectors not to look outside the unit at all.

Feel free to call or email anytime if you need more details.

Condo Bob

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: condo Inspection 10 years 3 months ago #56256

Woo.  This could be a fun thread.  Let's throw some more fuel on the fire..   :)  I can't say I have run into two of the exact same type of condo.  I have had multi-floor middle, top and bottom units.  Single story outside and middle units.  Freestanding single townhomes as well as connected townhomes.

I stopped charging any different for a condo years ago.  I treat them the same as a SFR.  About the only things I don't report on are detached unassigned carports, shared driveways or walkways, or common stairways or elevators.  The good part is many times there are no attics or no crawl spaces and maybe if the roof is not directly over the unit being inspected.

I keep a statement, disclaimer if you will, that states what areas were not inspected, and the reason.  The statement also contains wording that the buyer should be thoroughly reading the HOA rules and regulations as well as any CCR's that are part of the purchase.  I warn them that this should also be done during their "inspection period".  They should also request a breakdown of the last few years of repairs over the entire complex, scheduled repairs, anticipated repairs and the HOA account balances.  A GOOD agent will already be helping them with these items but it never hurts to refresh their memory.  There are also agents that are the low / no service agents with very low commission rates that don't do a darn thing except pass the buck.

What it comes down to is it really doesn't take much time difference to check a little box in your software program.  If you have treated your business like a business, and have spent long hours writing YOUR library of comments for exactly this type of situation, then you don't have much to worry about.  On the other hand, if you just use a basic, borrowed template that is lacking all the customizations, because it was quick to borrow, well then, you get what you pay for.  Spend your time doing it correct the first time, and you won't have to be writing the "every report" language over and over.  Some templates are good, some are horrible.  I wouldn't use any of them because they are not my reporting style.  You have the tools to change HIP in anyway you wish.  Spend the time and do it right.  JMHO.

There is nothing sweeter than the smell of fresh cut grass on a baseball infield, the click of a wooden bat and the taste of a hot dog at a warm sunny daytime double-header.

Re: condo Inspection 10 years 3 months ago #56257

Doug, I know Bob came off a bit harsh (gotta stop that Bob), but he actually had good intentions. I've seen lawsuits because guys didn't look at common areas. Bob saw an HOA common area deck collapse on a condo and quite a few people died (he had a blog about it for awhile, not sure if it's still up). So for some it's become a hot topic.

Dominic Maricic
Home Inspector Pro Home Inspection Software - CEO

Re: condo Inspection 10 years 3 months ago #56258

Doug listen up.
Doing this because I actually care for all of us inspectors to look good to the public as we do a needed job for low pay.
The low pay is because of the perception by some that it is some how a scam with low value so when I see anyone talking minimal this or that I get irritated.
Heck I have no idea what your background or experience level is as you have not shared that with me.

Please look at what I am posting here as an example of how you can do a great inspection and protect your client without fear of liability.

The simple rider I put at the bottom of my standard contract says it all.

That simple rider allows you to be free and have fun looking for major concerns at the entire property without fear some Judge will say....
Hey buddy you saw this but what about that ?

No I do not perform an entire building inspection but through experience I know where what may be a problem in my clients evaluation and use it to their (mine as well) advantage.

Doug I sincerely hope that makes sense to you.
Not out to get you but am hoping to elevate the profession from my small perspective.
Peace.

Attachments:

Last Edit: by Bob Elliott.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.203 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.