• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Re-Inspection for Mold

Re-Inspection for Mold 11 years 6 months ago #50414

Got a call yesterday from a distraught client. I inspected her house June 25th. The house was all in very good condition, I found the usual stuff (missing receptical covers, bushes too close to the house, etc. She says her attic has been leaking, likely at the dormers, and it's been leaking for a while because there is mold under the fiberglass insulation. She says I must have missed it at the inspection and wants to know what I want to do about it. A lot of different, unpleasant things came to mind, but instead I agreed to go there tomorrow and assess the situation. I did not walk the roof at the inspection, because it was a little steep, but it appeared to be newer and in very good condition.
It was sunny and dry that day. We have had a few severe storms since then, so it's likely the roof could have leaked some time after my inspection. I would think the least I should do is take a few swab samples for mold, maybe even perform a complete Mold Inspection, and give her some advice on how to clean it up. My wife thinks I should refund the price of the inspection IF I overlooked something. I told her I didn't overlook anything, overlooking is for amateurs, and I'm a professional. Now she says I'm arrogant ::) Anybody have a client call 4 MONTHS later and say "you may have missed something"? I guess I should have splurged and got the E & O  >:(

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Always tell the truth, do what you promise, and do it righter than right..always
Title: Inspection Connection
URL: www.charleston-home-inspector.com
Body: Performing Home Inspections in all of WV: Charleston, Huntington, Teays, Hurricane, and surrounding areas
Keywords: Charleston Home Inspector, St...

Re: Re-Inspection for Mold 11 years 6 months ago #50421

If you already see mold under the fiberglass insulation then what's the point of doing a mold test?

Dominic Maricic
Home Inspector Pro Home Inspection Software - CEO

Re: Re-Inspection for Mold 11 years 6 months ago #50426

to identify the type of mold, whether it's actually mold or just mildew, and to give the client a sense of comfort and show my concern. I'm not really sure what she expects, and I want to go above my obligations. I don't feel after 5 months and several storms I could be held accountable, but I don't want to "shrug her off". I think that would be "righter than right", my company slogan ;)

Always tell the truth, do what you promise, and do it righter than right..always
Body: Performing Home Inspections in all of WV: Charleston, Huntington, Teays, Hurricane, and surrounding areas

Re: Re-Inspection for Mold 11 years 6 months ago #50427

By the sound of it I dont think the offer for a mold inspection will settle things. Sounds like she wants her roof fixed.  I would try  and evaluate the issue for her. Keep things calm. Be professional. If it's in your contract show her where it says your inspection is not a guarantee against leaks. If its not in you contract consider adding it. Go out today and protect yourself with E & O insurance. You do not have to be wrong to be sued by someone. Good Luck!

Re: Re-Inspection for Mold 11 years 6 months ago #50438

Went yesterday and made the observation. Unbelievable! The ceiling below had been saturated to the point the drywall tape was falling off for about 4 feet, and another spot about the size of a CD in the corner. No way would I have missed that back June when the inspection was performed. The OSB sheathing in the attic had a dark black circle about 16" in diameter, which was not there during the June inspection. It's right beside of a light fixture with no cover that I took a photo of! Even after pointing this out, the client insists I owe them a complete refund for the inspection! I have considered dividing the 12 section inspection by the amount charged, and refund them 1/12 of the cost. That's me being a smart @$$

Re: Re-Inspection for Mold 11 years 6 months ago #50439

All that would accomplish is negative publicity which you don't want. Did you determine where the leak was coming from?

Dominic Maricic
Home Inspector Pro Home Inspection Software - CEO
Time to create page: 0.198 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.