• 888-750-4777
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: How do you do your summary with the client?

Re: How do you do your summary with the client? 11 years 4 months ago #51161

Better switch to HIP now. Better do it while the holiday sale and 6 months no financing deal is one. Chop the time of your report and put something out more professional. You can't go wrong :D

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Dominic Maricic
Home Inspector Pro Home Inspection Software - CEO

Re: How do you do your summary with the client? 11 years 4 months ago #51163

i know, Dom...arrgghhh!

Always tell the truth, do what you promise, and do it righter than right..always
Title: Inspection Connection
URL: www.charleston-home-inspector.com
Body: Performing Home Inspections in all of WV: Charleston, Huntington, Teays, Hurricane, and surrounding areas
Keywords: Charleston Home Inspector, St...

Re: How do you do your summary with the client? 10 years 6 months ago #54918

I know this is an old blog but if anyone comes back to read, I would like to add my 2 - cents plus a question.
I have been using Dominics software for over 3 years and would not use any other. One thing I have never been able to do is cut my time as Dominic and Dan are very much aware. So much so they most likely lost some hair over it. My field time is 3 to 4 hours with a camera and a note pad. I have tried tablets, laptops, phones, mini's and find that I can't properly inspect, talk to the client, take pictures and not be on site all day otherwise. I spend anywhere from 3 to 7 hours in the office on every report, which brings me to my question.
My clients have always liked my reports (average 45 pages w/pics). So here it is. Without loosing site of being professional and still following my SOP, would I be denying my clients all the information they should have if all I report is defects. Not reporting the obvious like, the home has vinyl siding, has a storm door, aluminum soffit, facia, trim., concrete drive or gravel drive, wall material or finish (except firewall) insulation type and so-on.
OR Report just the depth or condition of the insulation, conditions if any on facia, driveway, siding, etc.
I seen a report the other day by another inspector that was about 20 pages with pictures, that listed concerns only and a summary sheet in blue (used only to sum up all the concerns).
Your Opinions Please

Steven Wessler

Re: How do you do your summary with the client? 10 years 6 months ago #54919

Steven...It souldnt take that long.  I report everything as you...It's required. For a clean home...ie 2800 sq-ft, 2.5 bath, 1 HVAC system, etc...long end is an hour to construct a report after an inspection. IMHO, the hardware you use is personal preference, Tablet, Laptop, Andriod, IPad, etc.

You should have a solid library of comments for when everything is good. When all is good...click that comment.
You should have a solid library of comments for materials...Aluminium, wood, brick...etc
You should have a solid library of comments of who to call if something is defective....Plumber, electrician
You should have a solid library of COMMON defects...loose toilets, gutter extensions, roof at end of life...etc...
Most of this can be entered on site.

On a clean home that should cover IMHO 90-95% of your report.  That's typically at 35+ page report without crap on cleaning gutters and stock photos some guys us as filler.

I don't care my tablet through the whole home...I setup in the kitchen, and spend my time with the client.
Today's Inspection was the exception...home built in 1890, 3 -flat, 3200 sq-ft, boiler, old plumbing, electric..etc.  Today's home I did none of the report on site.  I took a few notes with a Wacom digital pen, and I'll write the report from the 100+ pics.  

Don't skimp on your report.  Write your report as if you had to go in to court a year from now and defend your work.  Also construct your report with valuable to the client on his home.  I don't believe in stock photo/diagrams.  I love inspectors who give "crap" reports.  Their agent's are my next source of referrals.

Dan Musielski
Inspector/Engineer
Assured Home Inspections; Batavia, IL
www.InspectThatHouse.com

See us in the Fox News Channel! FOX NEWS Shattered Dreams
www.foxnews.com/us/2010/10/13/foreclosur...ickens-experts-fear/
Last Edit: by Dan Musielski.

Re: How do you do your summary with the client? 10 years 6 months ago #54920

Steven

I am in the same boat as you. Been using the software longer.

I actually have a competitors report in front of me. (he does well, been an inspector for long or longer than me, 10+ years)

His report is 9 pages, mostly checklist, no pics. (I could do 3 inspections a day with this style)

Mine is like yours (detail, length)

I am planning on doing some major changes so I can complete multiple inspections per day. (I could make a lot more $$$, a lot more $$$)

No offense to Dom but there are some limits to his/this program. I have a computer guy in mind that could design me software if needed.

I might go the I pad, cloud, mobile version, if I can figure away to incorporate a check box feature & other features as well.

I may even switch to the competition (Home Gauge(HG)), again no offense to Dom/Hip.

I was thinking of creating a reference guide (would be a PDF attachment to report), like Horizon.

I need a combination of HIP, HG, Horizon & AHIT.

Once the slow season starts (not yet), I will begin to make some major decisions & change. Be glad to share some thoughts with you. (Good post)

Home Safe Home Inspections
Link Url: Cleveland Home Inspector - www.hshinspections.net/
Body:Performing Home Inspections in Cleveland, Parma, Brecksville, Broadview Heights, North Royalton, Strongsville and surrounding areas.
Keywords:Parma,Broadview...

Re: How do you do your summary with the client? 10 years 6 months ago #54921

Dan

In my opinion a clean home should not be how the report software is evaluated. (I see these maybe 1 out of 10 inspections) These are easy to inspect when all you do is choose Inspected or serviceable.

The piece of crap, multiple issue home is how I believe the software should be evaluated. (Most homes I do are average condition)

(then the 1 out of 10 numerous repair house )Like every system being in poor condition with multiple defects or alterations.

The vacant, bank owned piece of crap is the best test for the program.

Home Safe Home Inspections
Link Url: Cleveland Home Inspector - www.hshinspections.net/
Body:Performing Home Inspections in Cleveland, Parma, Brecksville, Broadview Heights, North Royalton, Strongsville and surrounding areas.
Keywords:Parma,Broadview...
Time to create page: 0.217 seconds
© 2004-2024 Home Inspector Pro Inc. All Rights Reserved.